Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #11
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Thoughts on Vaccination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
This. And this. As my mom says, we used to fear our kids getting these diseases. Now we are careless about them.

DH and I aren't in agreement about the hpv vaccine and hepatitis. I say if DS wants to live a lifestyle where he'll need those vaccines he can get them himself. I don't feel like giving him a ticket to be reckless. DH thinks we should get them - we don't know what choices he'll make and we should prevent illness if we can.
I've read too many stories about the hpv vaccine causing all kinds of horrible side effects to do that one. I just don't think it's been tested enough, and I don't feel like it is safe. I think my kids have had the hepatitis shots though.

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #12
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
This. And this. As my mom says, we used to fear our kids getting these diseases. Now we are careless about them.

DH and I aren't in agreement about the hpv vaccine and hepatitis. I say if DS wants to live a lifestyle where he'll need those vaccines he can get them himself. I don't feel like giving him a ticket to be reckless. DH thinks we should get them - we don't know what choices he'll make and we should prevent illness if we can.
I understand this line of thinking and am inclined to follow it personally. But then I think about how life can be changed with one poor decision... something young people are good at . I also have a friend that got Hepatitis from poorly handled food at a wedding (he was one of several that contracted it at the wedding). So, it doesn't always have to be a lifestyle choice. But I hear you.

My kids aren't old enough for the HPV vaccine yet. I haven't researched it. What's the deal with the side effects? What are they? I am always skeptical of new drugs - I feel like the pharma industry pushes stuff out as quickly as possible for the ensuing profit and it is not always in our best interest... but that's another thread .
Old 10-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby's mom View Post
I understand this line of thinking and am inclined to follow it personally. But then I think about how life can be changed with one poor decision... something young people are good at . I also have a friend that got Hepatitis from poorly handled food at a wedding (he was one of several that contracted it at the wedding). So, it doesn't always have to be a lifestyle choice. But I hear you.
This is a good point - I do believe second chances are fair,so maybe I should be more open to them. And yes, there are different types of hepatitis, and I forget them all right off hand, but certain ones are almost exclusively lifestyle choice. But again, you are right about life-changing decisions, especially in young adults.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #14
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby's mom View Post

My kids aren't old enough for the HPV vaccine yet. I haven't researched it. What's the deal with the side effects? What are they? I am always skeptical of new drugs - I feel like the pharma industry pushes stuff out as quickly as possible for the ensuing profit and it is not always in our best interest... but that's another thread .
If you google it (and then scroll down below all the CDC posts and posts about "why don't more people do the HPV vaccine, it prevents cancer!")...you'll come to stories of young people whose health was completely ruined by the vaccine. Some even died. It is crazy to me that they are still pushing it.