Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:35 AM   #1
PKat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nursing strikes and supply issues

So since the week before Thanksgiving DD has been really grumpy about nursing. On Nov. 19th she had surgery on her nose and the initial nursing strike began because she was uncomfortable nursing (even football hold) I would still nurse her she would just only nurse for a few minutes and then be done and want to nurse again 45 minutes later, so I was constantly engorged because she never really finished a side. She just started to nurse normally again and then she got a cold, back to the funky nursing schedule with an added quirk of refusing to nurse on the right side. Just about over the cold and she gets Fifths and had some headaches so nursing was a battle again and this time it was an all out refusal, absoultey refusing to put my nipples in her mouth and crying herself to sleep, no matter the position she refused to put nurse and would scream and cry for upwards of half an hour before she feel asleep. We fianlly gave in and gave her a bottle with formula, I love to nurse her but if it is upsetting her that much it isn't worth it. I also started a night job in November so she was getting a bottle from DH at night just before she went to sleep -- she won't take BM in a bottle from him AT ALL only formula, so pumping is pointless at work AND there is no safe quiet place to pump.

The result -- I am losing my supply big time. I will feel really engored and pump and get 3 oz (most from my left side I can barely get anything from my right side). DD is back to nursing but will only nurse in the morning and around 3 am the rest of the time she will latch on and not get anything after a few minutes and pull off angry then refuse to latch again. Yesterday I tried no bottle all day and just nursing and we went back to refusing to latch at all and screaming and crying herself to sleep to wake up crying in half an hour and refuse to nurse and cry herself back to sleep.

Her cold is gone now and while I still work nights I would like to nurse her during the day so she only get one bottle at night. Would working to re-establish my supply do anything at all?

Oh and I notice that even when she takes a bottle she drinks 1-2 oz and takes a 15-20 minute break, drinks another ounce or so takes a break, drinks a little more takes a break. So a 6 oz bottle (her norm) can take upwards of 30 minutes to finish. She always nursed in a similar way but is there anyway I can convince her to stay latched on?

Advertisement

Mary Kate - knitting mama to three girlies!
PKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nursing strikes and supply issues

~hugs~ I saw your post the other night but didn't have time to respond... we were in the middle of our own nursing strike during my first week back to work so I didn't have one minute to myself really... just a long frustrating week...

but your post did catch my eye ... my daughter reacts the same way during her nursing strikes. So far she's had 2 of them - each 3 days long (tues-thurs). one last week and one this week. i fear what next tuesday will bring...

I don't know as I have any advice other than maybe find a place to pump at work even if you won't be giving her the milk? It would help keep your supply up.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote