Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
help with biting

my nearly 7month old has begun biting me...no teeth yet, but it hurts like hell

right now when she does it, I say her name loudly which startles her, and she stops

sh eonly does this when she is done eating...though usually she would hang out on the nipple for a little bit.

I'd love to stop this...any ideas?

thanks
jennifer

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
Jujubazooka
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: help with biting

Watch for when she starts slowing down. Babies cannot bite when they are actively sucking. With my ds, the moment he started slowing down, I would pay close attention. I had my finger at ready to break the latch.

being bit hurts!!!
Lake Jewels Etsy Store
Jujubazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

at least she is responding when you say her name ! Careful with 'breaking the latch' or pulling away cause you could do damage to your nipple...I have found the best thing to do push the baby's head into your breast - that way they can yank away with your nipple in mouth and also, it makes breathing difficult so they let go.
hth
Old 12-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

will she eventually stop?
Old 12-20-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
mom23boys
Registered Users
seller

My little guy is 10 days older than your LO and he's doing the same thing, but he has 2 bottom teeth and is getting the top and it does hurt!!! In his case, it's my own fault. . . he'll be eating, he'll pull off, look around, and then decide, oh yeah, I want more of that so he'll go back on but he's just kind of playing. That's when he decides to bite. If I just take him off when he's done, he doesn't bite.

Both of his brothers went through a biting stage. Yes they get over it eventually, but sometimes they lull you into a false sense of security and then land a big bite on you when you're not expecting. Babies are just kind of orally fixated and when they're getting their teeth, they have to check out what the whole mouth can do. They don't know they're hurting us. :-0
mom23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:25 PM   #6
yummymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great using the calling out the name. That worked well for me. This is my 3rd time around and they all went thru that stage and I survived intact. I would say their name - like you do. I also kept my hand reay to break the seal at any moment throughout the phase. If they tried to bite - I said their name, said "No Biting" very sternly (as pain might make you) and stopped the feeding. I returned to feeding whenever the pain subsided which seemed to be enough time for them to get hungry. #1 bit 4 times only, 3 in the first day with a tooth and once a couple of days later. # 2 bit 4 times and # 3 only tried it twice. They seem to catch on that it stops the food, makes you upset, and mine stopped pretty quick. I hope it works out for you!
Old 12-23-2007, 01:58 AM   #7
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Levi is doing the same thing - when he bites it reallly hurts but if I say 'ow' or anything he laughs at me! he thinks its sooo funny when he bites me.
It is cute because it makes him laugh really hard - dh thinks its funny too - but wow does that hurt.
hes only 5 months and has 0 teeth - he better quit this before he gets the teeth in!
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote