Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o other mamas and bfing

i'm the ONLY nursing mom in my whole daycare center

and MA is very pro-bfing...I do it anywhere any time and get no looks or antyhing

and I pump 2x at work and go nurse on my lunch and no one has ever said boo

I also was able to work the night shift for 6 mnths which gave us a lot of time to develop a strong nursing relationship...it might be very hard for womeen when they have to go back at 6 weeks...

our society, as a whole, does not support bfing mothers - not if the most time you can take off is 12 weeks via fmla (and that is without pay, so not an option for most women).

new moms should have at LEAST 6 months off with pay to develop that relationship...it would save so much money for hte family (not having to buy formula) and future health care costs, since bf'd babies and moms are healthier in the long run...

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2007, 02:04 PM   #12
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here I have seen very few Mothers Breastfeed. When I do see them they are at my AP Playgroup or my neighbor. Driving down the street you see TONS of Moms pushing strollers with bottles and a can of Formula under or on top of the stroller.

I know when I gave birth to my DD, the 3 days I was in the hospital I was the ONLY Mom who "tried" to Breastfeed and I was the only Mom to be Tandem Nursing and not let my baby leave my room. Sad!

I am in CA.

ETA: If I moved 15mins away to Berkeley (Hippy Town) I imagine I would see a TON of BFing Moms!
Old 12-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #13
cassondruh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in a college town and I see a lot of both... There are a lot of people who are all for bf'ing and don't mind nursing in public - but all of my friends stopped bf'ing within the first month (and usually the first week)... It just depends on where you look around here, I think!
In the swimming mommy and me classes that DD and me joined; ALL the mommies BF! So cool!
cassondruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #14
adensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm from Southeastern Georgia, and until recently I thought everyone here breastfed.....most of my friends have successfully bf'd for AT LEAST 6 mos, but most for the first year.

HOWEVER, a couple weeks ago we were in the ped's office for a sick visit and the office was crammed full of kids, the majority of which were under 1 yr old. The wait was forever, and I had to nurse my ds, so I went to a side room the receptionist always lets me use to nurse in (I asked her if I could nurse there, they didn't ask me...I'm very modest). When I came back, I began to notice how many bottles were popping out of diaper bags for crying babies. No lie....every other baby in that office was ff. It wasn't breastmilk in a bottle....cause you can tell the difference by the way it looks.

I was completely shocked. I don't consider myself "crunchy". I vax, circ, etc. and primarily began to bf and cd for financial reasons (but also bc I like the health advantages of bf'ing), but perhaps I'm a little more "weird" than I thought I was.....
Old 12-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #15
SMKelley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live near a tourist town (Ocean City, Maryland anyone??) and I see a ton of breastfeeding during the Summer but hardly any when the "crowd" is gone.

DO NOT SELL TO ME!
SMKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #16
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bfing is pretty normal here, but so is formula. extensive BF is not and (here's were I get flamed) I don't plan on child-led weaning.

ETA: I often put BM in a bottle if I'm ready to empty and she's not hungry before we go out the door so you can't always tell by the bottle. My sister did the same thing bc she couldn't stand nIP
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN

Last edited by remrath; 12-20-2007 at 09:08 PM.
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:19 PM   #17
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

Hey mama,
I live in SE Georgia too...I've only been here since July but at least in my town and the town next to it...people seem to look at me weird when I NIP my 8 month old. In my town specifically, it seems like (so far that I've seen) women ff because it's a symbol that they can afford to kwim? Not don't get me wrong, I am not bashing mamas that ff because they couldn't bf...but it does irk me when mamas don't bf because "it's not convenient" or "that what people with less money do" kwim?

ETA: This was in response to "adensmom"'s post...the quick reply didn't pick it up.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #18
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by remrath View Post
extensive BF is not and (here's were I get flamed) I don't plan on child-led weaning.
Not sure why you would say you'll get flamed but Extended Nursing is wonderful
Old 12-20-2007, 10:40 PM   #19
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most of my friends breastfed. Here in the urban areas of Oregon it is pretty liberal, green and very crunchy. You see people babywearing and breastfeeding as a norm.

Lovely!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:01 PM   #20
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Its definitely not the norm where I live either. ALOT of mamas FF from the get go here, which is sad.. but not surprising. There isnt alot of support in my area (very rural) and the hospitals around here darent supportive either. I ctually delivered both my kids at a hospital 80 miles away that was AWESOME and totally BFing friend.. actually Im pretty sure they're one of only a handful of recognixed "Baby Friendly" hospitals in WI.

I tried to BF DS, but supplemented from day 2 on becasue he just couldnt figure it out. By 8 weeks her was completely FF.. but at 14 months we finally discovered he has oral motor issues that prevented him from being able to nurse efficiently (the muscles in the back of his throat dont work right and he has trouble coordinating the suck swallow thing). As a newborn, he required a fast flow nipple because his sucking was so weak.. it would take him an hour to drink half an ounce and he would tire himself out very quickly (he was a 35 weeker).

DD was a 34 weeker but an avid n nurser from the get go. She did get supplements because of slow weight gain and supply issues, but at 12 months she's still bursing strong.

What really bigs me though, is even though BF isnt common here, I LWAYS get people making comments and assuming DS was/is BF.. and then I feel obligated to explain thee whole story to justify that he wasnt.