Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #21
yummymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o other mamas and bfing

I'm from Manitoba. I live in a samll farming community. BF'ing is very unusual - I don't know of another mama for 30 miles. I do belong to a baby group an hour away that has 5 or 6 nursing mama. It is refreshing to spend time with people that don't tare in disgust - or ask you why your shirt has little zippers. When I had my first 7 almost 8 years ago I didn't know or had never seen a mother who was nursing. Now I'm seeing more and more. It's rather nice! - Now if we could just get the medical professional around here to promote it and not recommend you quit breastfeeding as the cure for every ailment... a soapbox for another day...

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2007, 12:02 AM   #22
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in Vancouver, Canada where the bf support is fantastic. Pretty much everybody leaves the hospital bfing. The public health nurses are bf fanatics and anyone can see the LC for free anytime. A few end up stopping for various reasons, but most moms bf for at least 6mos. In fact, the women I know that ff don't like to bring the bottle out in public for fear of nasty looks and embarassment. It helps that we get one year maternity leave up here.
b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:57 AM   #23
silver
Registered Users
seller

I live in North Dakota, and while I don't know which is the majority statistically, I've only known one or two other mamas to BF since I had children. That could definitely be associated with my age bracket though, since I'm 21 now and due with my second in a few weeks. I will say that most of the moms I know at least TRIED for curiosity's sake if nothing else. And I will also say that older North Dakotans are very conservative so if you NIP there's a good chance somebody will be upset about it. You just hope they know better than to say anything out loud!
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #24
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganandevansmom View Post
May I ask where in Delaware you live? We have been trying to move there from PA. The house we want in Delaware is in Sussex county and I have seen quite a few moms nursing on the boardwalk and I saw several pro breastfeeding bullietens along the highway.

I was so hoping I would be more accepted there. if not.
AH! sussex is the Southern most county in De... and sussex is! i forgot about that, we go to rehobeth quite a bit, the beach there, and i nurse right on the boardwwalk, if you too DE-Rt one the billboard im thinking you saw is the wic one right? that is further downstate.. sussex is way better, i live in NCC about 2 hrs north!
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #25
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b'smom View Post
I'm in Vancouver, Canada where the bf support is fantastic. Pretty much everybody leaves the hospital bfing. The public health nurses are bf fanatics and anyone can see the LC for free anytime. A few end up stopping for various reasons, but most moms bf for at least 6mos. In fact, the women I know that ff don't like to bring the bottle out in public for fear of nasty looks and embarassment. It helps that we get one year maternity leave up here.
Yeah, I agree with that. My oldest DD was born in Canada and I didn't know anyone who DIDN"T breastfeed cause everyone was either a SAHM or had their year mat. leave. I didn't even know anyone who pumped cause there was no need. Now I live in Boulder, CO and in my social group there are lots of mamas who BF and nurse toddlers and at the club/gym I belong to, there are often several mamas nursing by the pool in the summer time. That being said, a lot do wean at around a year....
Old 12-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #26
MamaOf3Cuties
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nobody bf's where I live, and it breaks my heart. There are a few mamas around here that "try" it, but most give it up after little to no effort. I am in South Louisiana, and if you nurse in public you get terribly dirty looks. I guess I'll be getting dirty looks because I nurse everywhere I go. My other 2 boys were BFed and DD will be also.

I just don't get it. I know there are some instances where mamas just CAN'T bf. My sister suffered from such terrible PPD that she actually was almost to the point of disliking her children, and I believe that is what caused her to dry up. She literally lost her milk. However, I just don't get it when mamas say they won't do anything "like that" and make faces like it's disgusting. I've actually had a young mama tell me she thinks it's perverted when I asked her if she was breast or bottle.

IMO, why would you give your child something that even advertises itself second to breastmilk? Even formula companies say "Breast is Best." Why?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #27
adensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by remrath View Post
ETA: I often put BM in a bottle if I'm ready to empty and she's not hungry before we go out the door so you can't always tell by the bottle. My sister did the same thing bc she couldn't stand nIP
I know not every bottle is a bottle of formula....however, bottles of breastmilk ususally LOOK different...the color is a little different, the consistency looks a little different. Plus, I've never seen anyone mix a bottle of powdered breastmilk before (LOL!).

Trust me, I was being very observant b/c I couldn't believe what I was seeing....
Old 12-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #28
austinandashlynsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: s/o other mamas and bfing

I live in a very rural area of Ohio and sadly bf is definately NOT the norm around here. I would guess that at most, 50% of new moms try, probably 20% at most actually go past the first month. I've had some pretty odd looks while nursing dd and I'm very discreet about it. I am constantly asked how much longer I'm planning to nurse and most people are astounded that I am at 7 months, much less the thought of going past 12 months. Thankfully I've found some great mamas through an ap and lll group about an hour away to talk to for support. I too can't imagine any mother not wanting to at least try.
austinandashlynsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote