Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:
Success with garlic as thrush treatment.

We came down with a bout of thrush this weekend (my brother was visiting and kept giving dd sweets) that included a horrible red rash on my nipples along with dd's symptoms. I've nursed for over 7 years straight and haven't had thrush since the first few months of bf my first baby, and it was a stubborn batch, so I was pretty worried this time.

Of course we started vinegar, acidophilus and soy yogurt, but I wasn't sure how long that would take for that to kick in. And then I read in one of my alternative medicine texts (I'm in naturopathy school) that garlic was found to have more anti-fungal properties than Nystatin (which is what they used to prescribe for thrush, maybe they still do). So I bought Kyolic brand liquid garlic extract. It's alcohol-free, so it's safe for babies. It only took a couple of 1/4 tsp. doses a day, for two days and dd's mouth is cleared up and my nipples are back to normal. I'll probably continue treatment for a few more days, to make sure her system is cleared of it.

I know lots of moms are battling thrush, so I thought I'd share my lastest experience. Also, I've used this liquid garlic stuff for my sons when they start coming down with something. It works really fast, especially for cough/congestion, and it must taste okay because they never hesitate in taking it.

Advertisement

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
dykydoo
Registered Users

Re: Success with garlic as thrush treatment.

Thanks for the info! We have battled thrush as well and it seemed to take FOREVER to get rid of it. I tried it all. Nystatin, anti fungal cream on me, gentian violet. The gentian violet finally was what killed it off...but it has returned as of a few days ago (so maybe it wasn't completely killed off) So I am VERY thankful for this advice!
dykydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:
Re: Success with garlic as thrush treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykydoo View Post
Thanks for the info! We have battled thrush as well and it seemed to take FOREVER to get rid of it. I tried it all. Nystatin, anti fungal cream on me, gentian violet. The gentian violet finally was what killed it off...but it has returned as of a few days ago (so maybe it wasn't completely killed off) So I am VERY thankful for this advice!
With my first baby we tried everything, even 14 days of diflucan (before we were totally into alternative medicine) and it didn't work, and weeks of gentian violet (there were purple stains on everything!), so I know what you mean about it taking forever. We had it for *months*. So imagine my excitement when I find something that seems to be clearing it up really quicky and easy! Hope you have the same luck we did!

And for an update, things remain cleared up, but I'm still doing a dose or two of garlic extract a day in dd's mouth, just in case.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote