Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Clairasmama
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Smile SELF WEENING???

Hi mamas, I am still nursing my 15 month old and don't want to force ween. But I am pregnant and have heard two things #1 that after a few months your milk can dry up, and #2 that it can be unsafe to nurse while pregnant. I have also heard a lot of positive things about nursing while pregnant too! So far so good for us, but I wanted to get some advice and also some info on how a child actually does self ween? I know every child is diff. but I just don't see my sweet DD ever wanting to stop and I am afraid of disappointing her if my milk does dry up. Any help, advice or stories would be awesome! Thanks mamas!!

Advertisement

Clairasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
SMKelley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: SELF WEENING???

I became pregnant with my second child when I was breastfeeding my first. My son was 16 months at the time and I had SO much pressure to stop breastfeeding him...and so I did.

I went into a depression over it and if I knew then what I know now, I would not have chosen to wean my son.

Milk has a high chance of drying up during pregnancy (which would probably lead to child lead weaning~the drying of the milk is gradual) and it also may change to an undesirable flavor.

Breastfeeding while pregnant can easily become unhealthy for the mother but so long as you are eating well and taking your vitamins all should be well.

*I* have regrets from stopping so I would suggest you to continue as long as you are both happy. Your daughter won't go to college on the boob, she'll eventually "grow out of it" even though she is so eagar to nurse right now.

Good Luck.

DO NOT SELL TO ME!
SMKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most Moms do notice that their supply gets very low during the last trimester. I personally nursed through my pregnancy and after and had milk the entire time (drank a ton of water and ate a lot oatmeal, salads, veggies/fruit) Some kids do wean during the last trimester because your milk changed to colostrom to get ready for the new baby. My son had no problem drinking it, lol!

Breastfeeding during pregnancy is very safe, a lot of DRs do not have enough knowledge when it comes to breastfeeding/during pregnancy. (even the AAP reccommends it!) So most say "just stop/wean" since they do not know the benefits! I found it greatly helps with the transition for your older child with welcoming a new baby.

Children will know when they dont need to nurse anymore. The average weaning age is 2yrs-7yrs. My son just weaned on his own at 3 1/2years old. With each year your milk gets better and better for your child! I could not tell my child you are too old to nurse, I mean this is such a short time in their lives!

HTHs

Last edited by Calideedle; 12-20-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Calideedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
SophT
Registered Users
seller

I got pregnant with DD #2 when #1 was 13 mos. My super nurser nursed all the way through. No problems for her, the diminished milk supply did not stop her at all. For me on the other had, sore nipples caused a lot of discomfort and I would cut her nursing efforts short often because it was so uncomfortable for me. I continued to nurse both for about a year after the baby was born, but it was really hard on me. I would almost cringe when the older dd nursed, maybe biologically my body was protecting the milk for the baby? I don't know. I really, really wanted her to self wean, but finally when she was almost three I told her that I don't nurse a three-year-old. She nursed till the stroke of midnight on the day she turned three, and although I was sad for her to force her to stop nursing, I had to do it for me and for my relationship with her.
SophT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
Clairasmama
Banned
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the advice and sharing your exp. I'm sorry you got forced into somthing from bad advice! I have been getting it too! One of my best friends is pregnant too and her husband is a doc. they both got really upset with me for nursing. But my doc. told me it was ok as long as I was eating and had milk to give. It seems you hear a lot of both! I of course like hearing the positive exp. the best though!
Old 12-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
Clairasmama
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I have noticed the sore nipples already!!