Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation I need advice please!

I am in a little pain right now, again. I had mastitis once with Loralei at 3 months old, so this is not that, I think it is a plugged duct. It is a warm red spot on my breast that is sore and a little lump. I usually just nurse her like crazy (this is the 5th time I've had this over the last 6 months), but this time it doesn't seem to be making it go away.
What can I do for this? Any simple non going to the doctor things I can do to help relieve this? I just really hate this pain, and it is starting to make me want to wean; granted I have thought of it being a 6 month weaning process; I am just so tired of these plugged ducts!
TIA!

Advertisement

Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
robertribeye
Registered Users
seller

Re: I need advice please!

I had this happen from time to time. Have you tried hot presses, massages and fully emptying your breast by a really good pumping? That seemed to help me. I never went to the doc. And I have to say it happened a total of 3 times in a 18 month nursing period. My mom is a nurse and she told me a duct was not totatly being emptied. Are you switching the way she is positioned everytime she feeds. Try a position she normally doesn't get to do. Every position empties different ways from the breast I was told. Make sure to switch it up. I found if we got into a routine of nursing one comfortable way, that's when it would happen. Good luck.~ Mom of three P.S. I am 100% positive this is not a weaning thing.
robertribeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
silver
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertribeye View Post
I had this happen from time to time. Have you tried hot presses, massages and fully emptying your breast by a really good pumping? That seemed to help me. I never went to the doc. And I have to say it happened a total of 3 times in a 18 month nursing period. My mom is a nurse and she told me a duct was not totatly being emptied. Are you switching the way she is positioned everytime she feeds. Try a position she normally doesn't get to do. Every position empties different ways from the breast I was told. Make sure to switch it up. I found if we got into a routine of nursing one comfortable way, that's when it would happen. Good luck.~ Mom of three P.S. I am 100% positive this is not a weaning thing.
Yes, this! I had plugged ducts often with DS1 and had to do the compresses, massage, etc. to get the clog out.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
amrijane128
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I definitely second the compresses and masage, especially while in a hot shower. (like those long, luxurious ones ever happen anymore anyways ) Also, I read somewhere that wherever your LO's chin is when nursing, that's the "chamber" of milk that they're emptying most, so try to have your LO's chin where the duct is clogged, plus it serves as a bit of a massage. Good luck, they really do suck!