Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-23-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
tandem nursers.. make me feel better

Just found out last week I'm pg.. wow what a surprise! Then again all of my kids were (had a misscarriage in between my two) anyhow with my first it felt too strange to even approach the thought of tandeming.. also she self weaned.. i didn't offer and that was it.. pretty easygoing about nursing!

My second forget it!! I know she won't give it up.. and I'm more okay with tandeming it this time. It just feels odd. I know it's all in my head.. but could you guys make me feel better and share your stories??

what was it like the first time nursing both? did they ever "argue" or have sibling rivelry about it?

how did others you know feel about it? (ie family and friends?) my mom totally supports bfing but I don't know what she'll think about me tandem nursing (not like it's her choice and she wouldn't be rude about it anyway)

Thanks for your help support!!

Advertisement

Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: tandem nursers.. make me feel better

Um, let's see...

My nursing toddler was 19 months old when his baby brother was born. There were no "arguments" but there was one time when the toddler was VERY cranky and wanted to nurse sooo bad...I was trying to settle on the couch so I could nurse them both at the same time and I picked the baby up first. Well, Aydin jumped up and down, flinging his arms everywhere and yelled, "NO, NO, NO!" But he calmed down as soon as I invited him to crawl up on me and nurse, too.

My mom was very supportive at first. She was helping me after I had my third baby and saw me get an awful case of mastitis--she literally thought I was going to die. So she was supportive of my tandem nursing because she knew it would help keep mastitis away. Now? No one knows Aydin is still nursing unless they ask. He's almost 3 so they just "assume" he's weaned. I let them think that. My close friends know he's not and they are very open to it now.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

I am currently tandem nursing my 2.5 yr old and my 6 mo old. It has been fairly easy, he does not get jealous, sometimes he'll tell me to lay her down but he definately isn't resentful of her in the least, he loves on her and strokes her face when she is nursing. It was a little weird geting them both latched on at the same time and i think it feels odd and I can't take both of them latched on at the same for very long...i really enjoy it and hope that you will too!
Old 12-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
crunchie
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS was 17m when DD was born. Tandem nursing has had much more positive effects than negative, but we have had some slightly rough times. I am only able to nurse from one breast, so DS has to always wait his turn - which can be tough for a toddler to do! He also began nursing more as the months wore on. That's been tough, but I know that it's just a phase, and it's what he needs for now, so we stick to it!
Continuing to nurse him really alleviated a lot of the worries I've heard from other mums of babes so close in age. Each day (sometimes dozens of times!) we get to spend a few quiet close moments. It gives him the security of knowing that mum is still here for him as much as ever. He's learning to share with his sister in such a wonderful way.
When it comes to support from those around me, most people are just pretty shocked that it can be done (especially with one breast). I haven't heard anything negative, but I've got my ears closed to that sort of thing anyway!
I'll tell you one thing... when you have a toddler who's having a meltdown there's NOTHING in this world that can calm him quicker (or sweeter!) than a few minutes at mama's breast! That makes it all worth while.
crunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm currently tandem nursing my girls, they will be 3 and 1 in February. I never really mentioned to the doctors that I was still nursing while pregnant. I didn't want to be told I should wean.
We haven't had any problems. Peyton usually nurses only a couple of times a day. Most of the time it's when she wakes up and before she goes to bed. Aliya of course nurses all the time. I can't have them latched on at the same time, it's to weird for me. We I took them to the ped the lactation consultant there was very supportive of tandem nursing, since she used to be a LLL leader and tandem nursed her LO's.
We are now trying to conceive while tandem nursing.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm nursing youngest two, dd is 3 and ds is 1. I really feel that nursing made the transition easier for dd. I think it made a bond between them as well, they hold hands while nursing together! It did kindof freak me out at first to have the two of them nursing at once, but since it made them go to sleep at nap time together, it was totally worth it. I did night wean dd before ds was born and I think that made it easier for me. My inlaws HATE that they are tandem nursed, but they don't bring it up in front of me. DH wishes I didn't as well, but I feel it's best for them. My family is very supportive, in fact my sister is tandem nursing her 3 year old and 5 month old.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:57 AM   #7
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchie View Post
My DS was 17m when DD was born. Tandem nursing has had much more positive effects than negative, but we have had some slightly rough times. I am only able to nurse from one breast, so DS has to always wait his turn - which can be tough for a toddler to do! He also began nursing more as the months wore on. That's been tough, but I know that it's just a phase, and it's what he needs for now, so we stick to it!
Continuing to nurse him really alleviated a lot of the worries I've heard from other mums of babes so close in age. Each day (sometimes dozens of times!) we get to spend a few quiet close moments. It gives him the security of knowing that mum is still here for him as much as ever. He's learning to share with his sister in such a wonderful way.
When it comes to support from those around me, most people are just pretty shocked that it can be done (especially with one breast). I haven't heard anything negative, but I've got my ears closed to that sort of thing anyway!
I'll tell you one thing... when you have a toddler who's having a meltdown there's NOTHING in this world that can calm him quicker (or sweeter!) than a few minutes at mama's breast! That makes it all worth while.
I am so impressed you tandem bf with only one breast!!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
crunchie
Registered Users

My Mood:

LOL, yeah, that's exactly the reaction I get a lot! My babies are living proof that a woman's body will adapt to the needs presented to it! I just nurse on demand, and I've never had any supply issues. In fact, DD is 7 months and still not onto solids - and is healthy and a great size!
Like I said, the problems I've had have been more about DS having to wait until DD is done to get his turn. If you can nurse both at the same time (I've heard from some women that they can't stand the stimulation involved in this though!) then you won't have to worry about this, although I'm sure you'll have challenges of your own! Like I said, it's all worth while in the end though.
crunchie is offline   Reply With Quote