Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #31
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Re: Venting - carseats and the school drop-off line

I had to look something up in my car's manual the other day and noticed it said that the backseat is recommended for children under age TWELVE. None of my students are twelve, that's for sure. *sigh*

Advertisement

musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #32
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingham

I know this isn't really the topic of this thread, but. . . I never knew there were rules about securing dogs in vehicles. My dog has always laid down underneath the middle seat of our van when I was growing up. We didn't even own a crate. Where do you find information about that?
I had a friend that got into a bad accident after her dog jumped into the front of the car and landed on the gas pedal - it was a big dog too. My friend was lucky she ended up in a ditch instead of crashing into another car. I cringe now any time I see a dog loose in the car.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #33
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
Formerly: **kau*
seller

My Mood:

*sigh* You know it is sad more people don't realize their kids need to stay in boosters until the belt properly fits. My kids are always embarrassed because they are in backless boosters. It is a sore spot for my 9 and 10 year olds but they are far too small not to. I have tiny/short kids. I don't think I know anyone else whose kids still are in boosters either.
Mommyto2B2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #34
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debdebdebby13 View Post
My very tall almost 7 year old is in a high back booster, but I can tell you in the carpool line, that barely moves, I let her gather her stuff and hop up to the front seat and that's the part of the car she gets out from. She has certainly never actually ridden in the car up there or even in the back without her carseat. Could it possibly be a situation like that?
I remember doing this as a kid too. I had to ride in the back to school, but when waiting in the drop-off line I would move to the front. I don't see the harm if you are going 5 miles an hour and this is a kid over 6. Plus I felt cool.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #35
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Once we are inside the parking lot, I do let them unbuckle & grab their backpacks. And DD always leans up for a quick hug and kiss. At that point, we only inch along so I'm okay with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I had a friend that got into a bad accident after her dog jumped into the front of the car and landed on the gas pedal - it was a big dog too. My friend was lucky she ended up in a ditch instead of crashing into another car. I cringe now any time I see a dog loose in the car.
I used to (many years ago) have a little dog who rode loose. (Sometimes in my lap. ) Until one day, she saw a squirrel* in a yard we were passing, on the passenger side, and tried to leap right out of the car. Luckily the window was closed, so she just crashed into the window. Then she turned and tried to jump over me out the open driver's window. I got her a car harness before she rode again.

*"SQUIRREL!" Hehe, you know, like from Up
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #36
idnar82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As someone who drops off her daughter everyday in the car pool line, I will say that we get there about 5 minutes before they start unloading the cars. I let her unbuckle while we sit there and occasionally, I even let her climb up into the front seat while we wait. So, to another parent it may seem as though she was up front all along without a booster when in reality she rode to the school in a booster seat safely buckled in the back seat. I am not saying that ALL parents do this, but I am sure I am not the only one. It speeds up the car pool line considerably to have a child unbuckled and out of the third row of a van.