Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
silvaheyes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Private VS Agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth. View Post
Here is another summary of state laws that I found today --
http://www.onetruegift.com/state-adoption-laws
Thanks mama, I appreciate all the help.

Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvaheyes View Post
Thanks mama, I appreciate all the help.
No problem! I'm just glad the 100's of hours I spend on adoption research actually benefit someone from time to time.
Beth. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #13
silvaheyes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
No problem! I'm just glad the 100's of hours I spend on adoption research actually benefit someone from time to time.
lol, I know exactly what you mean.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #14
jbh099s
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We worked with Everlasting Adoptions and ours ended up costing us about $15,000 as well, but don't forget to factor in the $12,150 adoption tax credit which brings it down to about $3,000. Good luck!
jbh099s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh099s View Post
We worked with Everlasting Adoptions and ours ended up costing us about $15,000 as well, but don't forget to factor in the $12,150 adoption tax credit which brings it down to about $3,000. Good luck!
Yes, the tax credit does help, but most people don't have $12,150 in tax liability each year. You can claim the credit up to five years though. So, you have to be able to pay the money upfront and then recoup the credit over the next 1-5 years.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #16
jbh099s
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Yes, the tax credit does help, but most people don't have $12,150 in tax liability each year. You can claim the credit up to five years though. So, you have to be able to pay the money upfront and then recoup the credit over the next 1-5 years.
I know and that does make it very hard. We ended up putting it on a 0% credit card and just pay off a bit at a time until we get our taxes. And again you are right it will take us a couple tax returns to pay it off. I just try to look at it like if I had given birth to her I would be paying doctor and hospital bills anyway. The other thing to keep in mind is that the tax credit is being cut down to somewhere around $5000 at the end of this year (unless it's renewed). This means you have to finalize this year to get all $12,000. Ours start to finish took 11 months, so it's possible.
jbh099s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #17
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You're lucky you adopted when you did! A 0% credit card offer is almost impossible to come by these days. We have perfect credit and can't find anything with even a remotely low interest rate. We are lucky that we have our home equity line of credit ready to go if/when we need it. Some of the new folks just starting out are going to have a harder time finding credit at decent rates. Combine that with the risk of the tax credit going away and the quickly rising agency fees, we are going to be in a place where domestic infant adoption can only be afforded by the more wealthy families.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:01 AM   #18
hvnsnt2
Registered Users

We found our birth mother through a mutual friend. We could have done a private adoption but didn't want to deal with having to do it on our own since we had already gone through the home study process with an agency. Not to mention our fee with our church agency will only be around $6k and $1k of that is none refundable and already paid. Anyhow, some of my friends that have done private adoptions have paid any where from $3k upwards to $6k and it all depends on whether you do advertising and stuff like that. That will jack up the price. So for me private adoption this time around wasn't worth it. But I think if our fee with the agency was a lot more we probably would have looked into a private adoption with this BM.
hvnsnt2 is offline   Reply With Quote