Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
NoraD
Registered Users

Timeline just got longer!!

Man. We went to our first HS appt tonight. We have done all our paperwork and most of it is already at the agency. When we were adopting in 2000, our HS consisted of about 3 informal visits, the last of which was mostly looking at available kids' profiles. Probably totalled 2 hours. This time our first meeting was 1.5 hrs in her office and all we got covered was a deeply detailed flowchart of each side of our families. Is this crazy or normal? She said eventhough all our paperwork was done, we were still looking at months before completing the HS. I said "How many months?" (I was expecting the whole process to take about 3 months, including the 1.5 months of paperwork we just did.) She said another 3 mos since she doesn't work as fast as me and she's planning a trip to Mexico!!!! Plus, she has a Mon-Fri 9-5 job and does HS for the agency "on the side." I think I'm going to call the agency tomorrow and ask if this is normal, or if I should line up another SW. This is the SW they set me up with.
Any thoughts? I admit I am a highly wound, impatient, "get-it-done" kind of girl that may not realize how slow the real world is.
Nora

Advertisement

NoraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
chasingboys
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Timeline just got longer!!

I would ask for another social worker. If you're paying to have this done for a private adoption, there is no reason you should have to wait because she has another job or is going on vacation! JMO, but if i was paying good money for a HS, I would want a fulltime SW on the case.