Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2008, 04:34 AM   #1
EricaLynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
UC question

So I have to say taht I am not pg or even ttc. But I am already making a mental birthplan for future children I really wanted to go with a homebirth, wether it be unassisted or with a midwife. I was just wondering, if it is unassisted, what do you do after the baby comes? I mean obviously aside from the pertinant things like feeding, etc. Does someone write down the time of birth? How do you weigh the baby? Do you take the baby to their provider the same day? Do you see your provider to take a look for tears and sew up any tears Forgive me for all the questions, I just realized I handnt thought about much of this stuff... just the hard part

Advertisement

EricaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
pearryandbellasmama
Registered Users
Formerly: pearrysmama
seller

Re: UC question

Have you checked MDC? They have an UC forum. Here's the link. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=306
Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLynn View Post
So I have to say taht I am not pg or even ttc. But I am already making a mental birthplan for future children I really wanted to go with a homebirth, wether it be unassisted or with a midwife. I was just wondering, if it is unassisted, what do you do after the baby comes? I mean obviously aside from the pertinant things like feeding, etc. Does someone write down the time of birth? How do you weigh the baby? Do you take the baby to their provider the same day? Do you see your provider to take a look for tears and sew up any tears Forgive me for all the questions, I just realized I handnt thought about much of this stuff... just the hard part
Yes dh looks at time of birth or estimates

I have weighed my babies w/ a digital fish hanging scale w/ baby in sling or on a digital scale I own.

I do not take baby to ped on birth day or after. Most of mine haven't seen ped until years later if at all.

I have dh look for tears, skid marks, etc. I have never had a tear, but would have dh steri strip and super glue at home if I did. If severe I have a friend that is a midwife and missed my third birth, first UC, that has said she would ever come if I needed her.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
sunnymw
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

-record birth time, or guess it

-weight not really important. We're planning on calling the MW afterwards who has a scale but if I didn't have her I'd just go in to the ped 10 days after birth (for PKU, if you want it) and have the wt checked there.

-if I tear just a little I will just let it heal itself. If I tear more I may go in to be stitched, just to the local ER that does NOT do births as I wouldn't want to risk being admitted (I'd refuse anyway)
Old 04-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
babyholic
Registered Users

~ I bought a baby book "birth certificate" that we recorded baby's stats on at birth.

~ I weighed each of my UC baby's for estimate weight using our adult digital scales while holding baby, and then subtracting my weight. I ran into trouble with this with my 3rd baby, because WIC wanted to weigh him and didn't account for the difference between my digital home scales and their precise baby scales. They told me he was severely underweight for a 2 week old and I should supplement. They also called in the health nurse to harass me after they found out he was born at home and hadn't been seen by a doctor. I will never do WIC again!

~ I don't take the baby in to be seen, because I feel as long as baby is healthy and showing no signs of a problem, they don't need to be taken to a place full of germs and poked at to tell me something I already know (that baby is perfectly healthy). We also don't vaccinate. I did take baby to the health department each time to have the PKU test done. If the health department doesn't do it, you can ask your family practitioner to order the PKU for you.

~ I believe I tore badly with my last birth (he came out face/brow first instead of chin-tucked) I didn't look with a mirror or allow anyone else to look, I just kept myself in bed nursing with my legs together to give it time to heal on it's own. I would only get stitches if I tore through my rectum or something like that, but it's unlikely to happen in a UC birth. I had stitches for a very minor tear with my hospital birth, and it took 6 months before I could have sex at all without horrible pain. My doc said there wasn't any major scarring he could see, and he couldn't figure out why it hurt so much. I know the doc gave me an extra stitch, though. (They call it the husband stitch) No thanks, never again.

~Basically, there's no reason to go in, unless you have a reason! =) I know some moms do want stitches, but you can have hubby, mom, or friend check you for tears. Most tears will heal on their own nicely, as long as you are kind to your body and rest.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 AM   #6
EricaLynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyholic View Post
~ I bought a baby book "birth certificate" that we recorded baby's stats on at birth.

~ I weighed each of my UC baby's for estimate weight using our adult digital scales while holding baby, and then subtracting my weight. I ran into trouble with this with my 3rd baby, because WIC wanted to weigh him and didn't account for the difference between my digital home scales and their precise baby scales. They told me he was severely underweight for a 2 week old and I should supplement. They also called in the health nurse to harass me after they found out he was born at home and hadn't been seen by a doctor. I will never do WIC again!

~ I don't take the baby in to be seen, because I feel as long as baby is healthy and showing no signs of a problem, they don't need to be taken to a place full of germs and poked at to tell me something I already know (that baby is perfectly healthy). We also don't vaccinate. I did take baby to the health department each time to have the PKU test done. If the health department doesn't do it, you can ask your family practitioner to order the PKU for you.

~ I believe I tore badly with my last birth (he came out face/brow first instead of chin-tucked) I didn't look with a mirror or allow anyone else to look, I just kept myself in bed nursing with my legs together to give it time to heal on it's own. I would only get stitches if I tore through my rectum or something like that, but it's unlikely to happen in a UC birth. I had stitches for a very minor tear with my hospital birth, and it took 6 months before I could have sex at all without horrible pain. My doc said there wasn't any major scarring he could see, and he couldn't figure out why it hurt so much. I know the doc gave me an extra stitch, though. (They call it the husband stitch) No thanks, never again.

~Basically, there's no reason to go in, unless you have a reason! =) I know some moms do want stitches, but you can have hubby, mom, or friend check you for tears. Most tears will heal on their own nicely, as long as you are kind to your body and rest.
Thanks to all who replied!

And the 'husband stitch' I have never heard of one of these but I think I have one Things have been.... excuse the TMI but, things are tighter and actually uncomfortable now... thanks for the info!
EricaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote