Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
adensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any mamas with Asthma during pregnancy?

I've had asthma my whole life, and have delivered 3 healthy children despite my condition. This pregnancy, though, has thrown me for a loop! My asthma is allergy triggered, and the pollen in the air right now is just ridiculous. Add to that fact that I'm off most of my meds right now....down to just zyrtec and albuterol....and my asthma has just gone crazy. I was having to use my albuterol inhaler so often that my doc finally called me in a nebulizer and meds to use.

I've never had to use the albuterol this much during the first tri-mester, and I'm worried about the baby. But there's nothing else I can do.....I HAVE to keep breathing.

Anyone else dealing/have dealt with asthma during the first trimester with ok results?

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any mamas with Asthma during pregnancy?

I have asthma, and so far, so good. Mine is very sporadic - triggered by bad colds - I'll wheeze and have problems for about a month after a very bad cold. I'm not on pills, but do have an inhaler. The only problem I've encountered is I hadn't needed the inhaler for so long, it expired, and I changed dr's, and my new dr wouldn't just write me a prescription - they insisted on seeing me, making me come in, then tried to freak me out by saying I really shouldn't use the inhaler while pg. Then I spoke w/ my ob, and she was all - well, we need you to be able to breathe so, yes, use the inhaler, please.

So basically, in my experience, don't let your prescription run out while changing dr's. sheesh.

I will say that now during the third trimester, breathing is just getting rough all around, and the asthma is NOT helping. I had a bad cold last week, so now I can't get an entire sentence out half the time, and am really having a lot of shortness of breath.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
sarah26
Registered Users
seller

Location: Surviving Deployment #2... back home in the DFW area for the duration!
My Mood:

I have asthma. My allergies and asthma were TERRIBLE in the first trimester. I will say that it lightened up a bit but as I got larger my breathing became so difficult b/c she was smooshing everything. Now that she's dropped things have gotten a bit better but I haven't had to use my inhaler this much until I was pregnant. Hopefully yours will also subside and give you some relief. It's terribly uncomfortable and makes the smallest activities so hard! Good luck!
Old 04-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
nattysmum07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am on asthmanex and it's GREAT for controlling asthma! If I don't take it then I find I'm using my albuterol daily. Can't they put you on something like asthmanex or pulmicort?
I was on pulmicort and albuterol all through my last pg'y and she turned out just find, I think taking the meds is better than baby not getting any oxygen so I have to take my controller meds.

Last edited by nattysmum07; 04-17-2008 at 02:14 PM.
nattysmum07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
babyholic
Registered Users

I hadn't been bothered by my asthma since the 5th grade, then was suddenly having issues during my 3rd pregnancy. I used a homeopathic remedy for asthma that I found at the Health Foods store. It helped a lot, and kept me from taking medication for it.

It is definitely something that needs to be controlled, because deprivation of oxygen is a major cause of premies and low birth weight babies. That's what happens to babies born to mothers who smoke, they don't get enough oxygen.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
adensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattysmum07 View Post
I am on asthmanex and it's GREAT for controlling asthma! If I don't take it then I find I'm using my albuterol daily. Can't they put you on something like asthmanex or pulmicort?
I was on pulmicort and albuterol all through my last pg'y and she turned out just find, I think taking the meds is better than baby not getting any oxygen so I have to take my controller meds.
I actually spoke with a nurse at my ob's office today and we decided for me to go back on my pulmicort. I was trying to stay away from as much meds as possible, but I've just been relying way to much on the albuterol the past week or so. It had even gotten to the point that the albuterol inhaler wasn't doing much, so I've had to switch to taking it via nebulizer which helped tremendously.

I was a bit freaked out when I realized albuterol was a class C, but the nurse told me not to worry about that, that albuterol has been used a lot, plus you gotta keep breathing, lol.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
Cryssie
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm on Singulair and Asthmanex with my Alb. for reserve. Singulair is a class B. My Ob rather me use them instead without for if I don't breath, the baby can't.

Mom 33, Dad 32, Boo 7, Beet 1 , And Bug is here!!
Cryssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
jpicasso
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryssie View Post
I'm on Singulair and Asthmanex with my Alb. for reserve. Singulair is a class B. My Ob rather me use them instead without for if I don't breath, the baby can't.
I agree, my OB, as well as my primary care doctor, told me that the majority of inhalers/nebulizers mostly affect your airways as opposed to having trouble breathing and low oxygen levels, which affects you AND the baby.

I have pretty severe asthma as it is, and it always gets much worse when I'm PG. I've gone through 2 PG's using Advair (except before 13 weeks), Maxair, Singulair, and Albuterol in my nebulizer on a daily basis, as well as taking Prenisone short term a few times, and my girls came out just fine. And my OB has me doing the same during this PG as well.

I'd say in most cases, the benefits of asthma medications will outweigh the risks.