Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #21
eyelashes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Irritable Uterus? anyone diagnosed with this?

I read this the other night, but didn't have time to comment. I had an irritable uterus with my first pregnancy. It was pretty awful. The contractions started at 12 weeks and at 22 weeks they put me in the hospital and gave me terbutaline all night to make them stop. I was on modified bedrest and took terb every 4 hours until I was full term. It was a really really miserable pregnancy. By the time I hit full term I was 4cm, but not in labor. Anyway. I never had true preterm labor, as my contractions weren't changing my cervix past 1cm until latter part of the third trimester, but the constant contractions and fear of PTL were enough to make me really miserable. It really took the joy out of being pregnant.

Just a note...
When I started having contractions, I talked to my mom, who was in nursing school and going through her OB rotation at the time and the FIRST thing she told me was that they had just learned something about how women who were having problems absorbing calcium could have contractions. I googled around and never found any other info. She was never taught any more about it (apart from like, a paragraph in one of her textbooks) and my OB never mentioned this. So WOW I am floored that it coming up again!

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #22
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good morning ladies.

I talked with my midwife at length yesterday about the irritable uterus condition and yes, it is caused by mineral deficiency. Specifically, calcium and magnesium. You can eat all the dairy you want but most of the calcium in today's dairy will not be absorbed by your body because our dairy products are pasteurized to death. Therefore the calcium goes in and out. Raw milk is one of the few products where your body will be able to adequately absorb the calcium.

I really, really urge all of you to order some calcium supplements. The following is recommended by my midwife and are excellent because they are well absorbed by the body. The supplements I list below contain magnesium as well as other essential minerals.

**Nature's Plus Bone Power with Boron Mineral Supplement (milk free). These are softgel capsules. Take one softgel with each meal and one before bed (4 a day).

**Nature's Plus Liquid Bone Power. Mine is natural orange flavor. This is a liquid supplement. Take two spoonfulls before bed. You want to take this before bed because your body will absorb the calcium and magnesium better while you are sleeping.

She also told me that in the case of painful braxton hick contractions that one of the best things you can do is to take a spoonful of the liquid bone power and an epsom salt bath. Epsom salt has a lot of magnesium in it and will absorb into your body through the bath.

Both supplements cost almost $30 each but it is well worth the money in my opinion to have a long healthy pregnancy.

Good luck ladies!

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #23
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Keep in mind that one of the drugs used to stop preterm labor is made of magnesium sulfate. Do yourself a favor and supplement before it becomes an issue and before you need "drugs". It only makes sense.

Here are some articles that reference the mineral deficiency (calcium and magnesium) link to preterm labor and other diseases:

http://www.ctds.info/magnesium.html

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/23/6/694S

http://www.physorg.com/preview102310874.html

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/magnesium.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=7JY...3kSiWeKA&hl=en

http://www.scielo.br/pdf/ea/v21n60/en_a09v2160.pdf

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #24
eyelashes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama!!! I've been contracting this pregnancy too and I will look into those supplements for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdensmommy View Post
Good morning ladies.

I talked with my midwife at length yesterday about the irritable uterus condition and yes, it is caused by mineral deficiency. Specifically, calcium and magnesium. You can eat all the dairy you want but most of the calcium in today's dairy will not be absorbed by your body because our dairy products are pasteurized to death. Therefore the calcium goes in and out. Raw milk is one of the few products where your body will be able to adequately absorb the calcium.

I really, really urge all of you to order some calcium supplements. The following is recommended by my midwife and are excellent because they are well absorbed by the body. The supplements I list below contain magnesium as well as other essential minerals.

**Nature's Plus Bone Power with Boron Mineral Supplement (milk free). These are softgel capsules. Take one softgel with each meal and one before bed (4 a day).

**Nature's Plus Liquid Bone Power. Mine is natural orange flavor. This is a liquid supplement. Take two spoonfulls before bed. You want to take this before bed because your body will absorb the calcium and magnesium better while you are sleeping.

She also told me that in the case of painful braxton hick contractions that one of the best things you can do is to take a spoonful of the liquid bone power and an epsom salt bath. Epsom salt has a lot of magnesium in it and will absorb into your body through the bath.

Both supplements cost almost $30 each but it is well worth the money in my opinion to have a long healthy pregnancy.

Good luck ladies!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #25
DaniMomma2007
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am not currently pregnant, but I was browsing around in the forums (I am usually on the parenting or BWing forums) and I saw this.

I had a mild irritable uterus, and ANYTHING could get it goin. I think it was a bit worse than the docs said, but I had a tendancy to down play things, lol.

I would have to go to the bathroom and not even know it. I would jsut start contracting, that was my cue to go pee in the latter of my pregnancy! The only way my doc said to treat it was "Pelvic rest" meaning, no sex, or any activities that would cause any action in that area. She actually even mentioned horse back riding , cause ya know, I was doing SOO much of that at 8 mos pregnant... der... I usually saw my midiwfe but the OB was on call the day it all really started. Once I talked to my midwife, she said the same thing. the no sex part really got to me when I was 39 weeks prego and just wanted him out, and heard sex could do it, lol!

~Wife to Chris~married 3/18/05~*~Mommy to Pootie~born 4/5/07~
DaniMomma2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #26
doularosemary
Registered Users

I've had some expereience with this and don't have much to add but to concur with camdensmommy to try adding preferably a liquid cal/mag supplement to your diet, soaking in an epsom salt bath, and consider drinking some red raspberry leaf tea which is a uterine tonic.

Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate and is absorbed through the skin to relax smooth muscles, like the uterus. This is the same thing they give you by IV for ptl but without the nasty side effects.

One other thing since you mentioned a UTI. With my last pregnancy I had an irritable uterus and cranberry tablets helped keep them at bay. If I didn't take the tablets I had annoying cx all the time but keeping the bladder bacteria at bay with the tablets calmed them down considerably.

Hope you find relief as it is annoying as much as worrisome.

Rosemary
doularosemary is offline   Reply With Quote