Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
amberlina
Registered Users

My Mood:
ultrasounds? when do you get them?

Im 28 weeks and my friend told me that the only reason they give you more than your 20 anatomical/gender ultrasound is if you are high risk. i cannot imagine this is true, i think she just wants to think she was ultra special, and that was her first child so her only experience. i hear other people say they get them once you get to going every 2 weeks, or when you are on the every week schedule. thats what my mother said they did to her. these are the simple ones the OB has in office, not the ones at the US clinic, but they still show the same stuff...

SO im wondering whats true??? dh really wants to see her again before she is born, as do I, and since we have like 3 months left we would hope that at some point we would have that opportunity again. we are so excited!

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: ultrasounds? when do you get them?

I only get the 20 week u/s but I do know of other mamas who get one at like every appt or every other appt.

(I had to get a 2nd u/s with Nikolas because there was echogenic foci seen on the first one and they wanted to rule out Down Syndrome if they could with a 2nd u/s.)

Charlene Keala 9.27.10, Zakary Michael 10.25.12 & Lillian Hikialani 10.25.14 ~

Baby "Teo" due December 2016 || Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I think it depends on your Dr.

My old OB only did them if there was something wrong. I had 2 in the first tri because of some spotting. And, then he did the "big" US at 18-20 weeks. But, I had mine early because we moved to a different state. And, then I had a very very optional one at 24 weeks (it was just for fun, we paid for a 3d/4d US).

My midwife now doesn't want to do a US unless it's absolutely necessary.

But, I think MOST OBs do the routine 20 week US. That is where they measure all the organs, and such. So, I don't know why it would high risk only type of thing. Maybe that is just how your friends OB operates?!?!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
ChunkiBunz Diaperz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah it really depends on the doc. with my 1st i only had a ultrasound at 16 weeks and then of course the day he was born because they needed to check and of course i was right i wasnt peeing on my self the whole 2 weeks before!!!!! my 2nd and 3 rd ones i had ultrasounds all the time but i had a different doc and he had 2 ultrasound rooms in his office. so i just had to wait for the rooms to open.

if she wanted another ultrasound she could get the doc to order one for a reason to check the baby and the insurance would pick it up.

Check out River City Boutique -Blog & HC You can Fan me at the bottom of my HC
NWI Natural Family Living Fair 8-2010-Blog & Fan Page more info to come
[/FONT]
ChunkiBunz Diaperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Heather81
Registered Users

My Mood:

Out here they only do u/s as needed. They'll do the regular "big" u/s (if you want) but other then that it's only for a medical reason.

I had one already but only cause I did a 3D (which cost $100). I'll have my REGULAR ultrasound at 22 weeks to check for any anomalies and that's it.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
IttyBittyOrganics
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had one at 8 weeks, one at 20 weeks, one at 21 weeks, and about five more scattered after that point (I had Gestational Diabetes so they did them regularly plus there were a few scares with non-movement)
Old 04-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
redneckmama
Registered Users
Formerly: lilybugsmomma
seller

My Mood:

My OB only does more than one ultrasound if there is a problem as far as I know. I had 3 with DD but the first 2 were because of first trimester bleeding. This time around we will hopefully only have the one at 18-20 weeks. It might be different if your dr has a ultrasound machine in the office. It would be a lot easier to do them at everycheck up. My dr doesn't have the machine, so I have to go to the hospital for mine.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

With Maddie, I had 4 before I was even 15 weeks along.

First one was because my betas were SO high, they wanted to see if there were multiples. The next three were taken when I was hospitalized with hyperemesis (3 times) to make sure the baby was okay since I had been losing so much weight.

Then we had our 20 week scan and then another at 22-23? weeks when I was again hospitalized but for severe round ligament pain and a UTI (thought it was contractions )

I also had a 3D/4D scan at 31 weeks but that was on our own time.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #9
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlina View Post
Im 28 weeks and my friend told me that the only reason they give you more than your 20 anatomical/gender ultrasound is if you are high risk. i cannot imagine this is true, i think she just wants to think she was ultra special, and that was her first child so her only experience. i hear other people say they get them once you get to going every 2 weeks, or when you are on the every week schedule. thats what my mother said they did to her. these are the simple ones the OB has in office, not the ones at the US clinic, but they still show the same stuff...

SO im wondering whats true??? dh really wants to see her again before she is born, as do I, and since we have like 3 months left we would hope that at some point we would have that opportunity again. we are so excited!
According to the American GYN people, lol I forget the actual title, You are not supposed to have them unless you are high risk; gestation, sex, and just to make sure everything is "normal" don't qualify as reasons that they should be given.

I used to have the link for that. Off to look for you. (It all goes with the fact/theory that US is not proven safe or unsafe, it is still an "experiment")
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/pultra.html Here is the link I was thinking of, or it at least refers to it.

**ETA** Doppler is the same as Ultrasound, maybe more potent, so this refers to both I think.

"NO STUDIES have been done which prove the safety of these devices, and the American Medical Association recommends AGAINST unnecessary exposure.

"Unnecessary Exposure" includes the use of ultrasound to:

1. Confirm the sex of the baby.

2. Assess gestational age (how many weeks old the baby is).

3. Assess fetal size and growth.

4. Confirm multiple pregnancy.

5. Determine fetal presentation (the position of the baby in the womb).

Many health care professionals still use ultrasound for these purposes anyway, even though the American Medical Association has not approved its use for these purposes. With the exception of confirming the sex of the baby, all these pieces of information can be obtained with hands-on skills. A fetoscope or stethoscope can detect the baby's heartbeat without the dangers of ultrasound. "
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs

Last edited by ClothDiaperMePlease; 04-16-2008 at 12:40 PM.
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote