Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #11
forever_loved25
Registered Users

Re: ultrasounds? when do you get them?

You usually get an ultrasound at about 20 weeks

Advertisement

forever_loved25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #12
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease View Post
http://www.unhinderedliving.com/pultra.html Here is the link I was thinking of, or it at least refers to it.

**ETA** Doppler is the same as Ultrasound, maybe more potent, so this refers to both I think.

"NO STUDIES have been done which prove the safety of these devices, and the American Medical Association recommends AGAINST unnecessary exposure.

"Unnecessary Exposure" includes the use of ultrasound to:

1. Confirm the sex of the baby.

2. Assess gestational age (how many weeks old the baby is).

3. Assess fetal size and growth.

4. Confirm multiple pregnancy.

5. Determine fetal presentation (the position of the baby in the womb).

Many health care professionals still use ultrasound for these purposes anyway, even though the American Medical Association has not approved its use for these purposes. With the exception of confirming the sex of the baby, all these pieces of information can be obtained with hands-on skills. A fetoscope or stethoscope can detect the baby's heartbeat without the dangers of ultrasound. "
Multiple pregnancies are treated differently than singletons. You need to know if there are more than one in there to be cared for properly. I'm not sure why that is on there as an unnecessary risk u/s?
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #13
Tummy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Very interesting thread... CDMP, thank you for your post!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #14
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

With DS I had one at 20 weeks and another at 33 weeks because they were concerned with my fluid levels. But if it hadn't been for that, 20 weeks would have been it.

None with DD, none with this LO.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom View Post
Multiple pregnancies are treated differently than singletons. You need to know if there are more than one in there to be cared for properly. I'm not sure why that is on there as an unnecessary risk u/s?
The US isn't needed to identify this; multiple pregnancy isn't different until the point when a doctor/midwife would be able to identify it w/o an ultrasound. Ie: 12 weeks with a fetascope or stethoscope to hear it or just a little longer to palpate and feel it. If they are unable to do that without an ultra sound machine, then they really should not be practicing in the OB field.

**ETA** Later on in a multiples pregnancy, I understand the need for US and such, but just to see if you have twins is what isn't needed.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #16
Jessy&Noah
Registered Users
seller

It definitely depends on the insurance and doctor or midwife. It's VERY common practice to get just one or two around the midway point and sometimes one in the beginning if you aren't sure of your dates since that's the best time to accurately determine the fetal age.

I was every 2 weeks with my first son and I have been (so far) every 4 weeks with this baby. I have a high risk condition, though and they need to watch very carefully and monitor the baby's growth...

Jessy&Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #17
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also want to say, I don't care if anyone has them I just think we all need to look at what we see as necessary vs unnecessary use.

I had them for my other 2, none for this one, other than a placenta US b/c there was worry that with some odd pain I had that it was a hernia, but it wasn't of the baby, just the top edge of my uterus where my placenta is.

There ARE reasons to have them. Just not every mom needs them. And NEEDS is the key word.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
Old 04-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #18
bethsflutterby
Just a sinner saved by grace.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

my Dr.'s standard is at 8weeks and 20 weeks,
David(11)Lolly(9)Maddy(7 on 8/25!)Yuyi(5.6) & Ana(4)

bethsflutterby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #19
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20 This looks like a good book. I might try to get my Midwife to buy it so I can read it
Old 04-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #20
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just don't have them. So never. You don't *need* an u/s to confirm more than one. By late second to third tri usually you can tell by palpitation. Any midwife worth her salt can do this.