Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Should I be worried?

Iím about 38 Ĺ weeks now, and I had a prenatal appt. w/my midwife yesterday and when she was listening to his heartbeat, she spent some time checking it, as it was around 110 (heís always asleep when she comes!!). All along, his heartrate has been on the low side of normal (120ís) and when she stimulates him (pushes on his foot sticking out, rubbing his back, etc.) he always responds appropriately (moves and his heartrate immediately goes up, 130ís, 140ís). Well, the same thing happened yesterday when she stimulated him, but she did say 110 is low. However, she said that if I was worried, I could go for a biophysical profile. I asked her if she was concerned and she said no because his reactivity was so good (she said pushing on him to see what his heartrate does is basically a non-stress test and he did exactly what he should have). He moves a lot (in fact, heís wiggling right now), but Iím sure heís starting to run out of room. But I canít stop thinking about it Ė should I be worried? Iíve had an uneventful pregnancy, my other 2 pgís were problem-free too, and we had the 20 week u/s which showed no problems whatsoever (I think the radiologistís report said ďunremarkableĒ LOL!). Anyone else have a baby with a consistently low heartrate? My mw said 120 is the low end of the normal range. Weíre planning a homebirth and Iím worried if I go for a biophysical profile, the OB will find a reason to induce me and I donít want that (obviously if there was something seriously wrong, babyís health comes first, but I donít believe all interventions are warranted and OBs are usually looking for something to be wrong, therefore they find it). Should I be worried?

Advertisement

kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
babyholic
Registered Users

Re: Should I be worried?

I wouldn't be worried. Low end of normal doesn't mean abnormal or unhealthy. It's a curve of averages and that's why I hate comparison charts. As long as baby reacts normally to stimulus, is kicking and growing at a normal rate, everything is fine! (((hugs)))
Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Tummy
Registered Users

My Mood:

All three of my boys HB were in teh 120's at any given moment.

Trust YOU, if YOU truly are stressing over it, then go in. Its harder on your little guy for you to stress over if he is okay or not vs just letting the feelings go..

I would be worried with my present pregnancy if I had a FHB in the 110's.. Her heartbeat is ALWAYS in the 150's+
So, that for me would be extremely stressful.

Trust what your body is telling you, not what your MW has put into your head...

Best Wishes Hon! Happy soon to be birthing day.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
sweetpeamami83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry! Especially if shes not! Hope your labor/delivery go well!
sweetpeamami83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I probably wouldn't be worried since he is responding well. If you are worried though maybe see if you can get an ultrasound just to check on things? Good luck momma
Old 04-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas, I feel better now. I was just a little thrown by it, as I've never had a single checkup w/ any of my kids wasn't run of the mill, you're doing great, everything's fine, KWIM? I think if his heartrate was usually in the 150s and was suddenly down around 110-120, we'd all be worried, but since he's usually low anyway, I guess he was just in a *really* deep sleep, LOL! I don't really want to go for an u/s, so as long as he's happily kicking me in the ribs and head-butting my cervix, we'll call it good. I have a feeling I'm not going to make it to the 28th...
Old 04-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

I just had a biophysical profile, which is an ultrasound , Tuesday. They just basically watch your baby for 30 minutes on u/s to see how he/she is moving. They need to move X amount of times while they are watching and then they say.. 'Yep.. everything is fine".

HTHs!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup, I knew it was a u/s... but if all they are doing is watching to see if baby is moving, then I can easily skip it - I can see/feel him moving all.the.time. Everyone else can see him moving too, LOL!!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
Yup, I knew it was a u/s... but if all they are doing is watching to see if baby is moving, then I can easily skip it - I can see/feel him moving all.the.time. Everyone else can see him moving too, LOL!!
That is what I said after the 'test". It was a waste of time with 'just looking". though for ours that u/s tech got totally different measurements than the u/s tech who did the growth u/s on Friday. I just don't see how 4 days can make such a huge difference! Then the doctor never called to explain. I have an NST in the am, but I am about over them since none of what they are doing is making sense. Why do an u/s to 'see' movement, when I can feel him moving? Anyway... hopefully I will get an explaination tomorrow.

Congrats on having an uneventful pregnancy! I can't wait to hear your birth story and see pictures of your little guy!