Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

What do you make of this??

I am confused and not sure if I should be worried or not. I am going for NSTs twice a week now. Everything has been fine with them. I had an u/s Friday April 11th. At that u/s, I was told that I had excessive fluid. {I was supposed to have 14cms, but had 28cms}. I was also told that baby was measuring large. {some of the dates/measurements said 38 weeks 5 days, etc}. I was also told that the estimated weight for him was 6lbs. 10 ozs. That NST was very reactive and great. My uterus measures really big too.

I then went Tuesday April 15th to get another NST. The doctor decided that it was 'not reactive' and sent me downstairs to the hospital for a biophysical profile. {it is an u/s where they watch the baby move for 30 minutes}. Anyway.. the u/s tech said our little guy moved great. She then decided to go ahead and do the measurements and u/s appointment that I had down there for this Friday after our NST. Her findings were that I had 15 cms of fluid and baby was measuring closer to my dates. {like 35 weeks & 36 weeks}. She then remeasured the fluid because it was so off from Friday's u/s and got 18cms with really giving some. That estimated weight for him was 6lbs. 3ozs.

My question... how can it be so off with just 4 days difference? If you have excessive fluid.. if you aren't leaking... how can it just 'disappear"? Has this happened to anyone or do you have any ideas on what is going on? Should I be worried? Does that mean something is wrong?
I go for my NST in the morning, so I am hoping the doctor will explain things to me. My doctor was off and I saw her partner who I really didn't have an appointment with as they only schedule the 'dr appointments'' every two weeks.

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
momto3g4b
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What do you make of this??

When I was pg with my twins, I had a bunch of NST's and BPP's done and I had similar results ~ fluid levels growing and shrinking in just a few days' time. The way the perinatologist explained the situation to me was that the u/s tech measures pockets of amniotic fluid and uses those measurements to average the total amount of fluid you've got. If they're able to get a couple big pockets one day, it can seem as though you have too much fluid when, in fact, things are fine. Same with measuring too little. If you consistently measure with too much fluid or too little, then it's more likely that those results are accurate. But when they fluctuate wildly, it's probably more likely due to technician error/differences in how techs measure things.

As for the estimated weight of the baby, that's all it is ~ an estimate. And that estimate is based off the measurements done by the u/s tech. If the tech doesn't get the perfect measurement of each body part (femur, abdominal circumference, head circumference), then that affects the overall weight estimate of the baby. So I wouldn't worry about the difference in the 2 predicted weights.

Last edited by momto3g4b; 04-17-2008 at 11:51 PM.
momto3g4b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: What do you make of this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3g4b View Post
When I was pg with my twins, I had a bunch of NST's and BPP's done and I had similar results ~ fluid levels growing and shrinking in just a few days' time. The way the perinatologist explained the situation to me was that the u/s tech measures pockets of amniotic fluid and uses those measurements to average the total amount of fluid you've got. If they're able to get a couple big pockets one day, it can seem as though you have too much fluid when, in fact, things are fine. Same with measuring too little. If you consistently measure with too much fluid or too little, then it's more likely that those results are accurate. But when they fluctuate wildly, it's probably more likely due to technician error/differences in how techs measure things.

As for the estimated weight of the baby, that's all it is ~ an estimate. And that estimate is based off the measurements done by the u/s tech. If the tech doesn't get the perfect measurement of each body part (femur, abdominal circumference, head circumference), then that affects the overall weight estimate of the baby. So I wouldn't worry about the difference in the 2 predicted weights.
Thanks so much Kate for responding!! That does make sense! I was just so confused at the differences. I end up being more stressed out after having the NSTs and U/S than being reassured.

I started worrying, but what you said does make sense and I think it totally is what happened. I think the last lady took her time and actually remeasured everything several times before moving on. The first u/s tech just hurried right along.

Thanks again for the reassurance!