Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
momof4in2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tips for Potty training? (please help?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaliff View Post
I let my kids run around naked and took the potty seat from room to room. It took a few accidents (we don't have carpet, though) but they figured it out.
I did the same for the 3 of mine that are trained. Will do it for the baby too

Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 09:31 AM   #12
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenopee View Post
Okay one queston. What do you all do when you go out? Diaper them or let them pee all over the grocery cart? I don't know what to do.

I personally don't use underwear until I'm pretty confidant that they won't have an accident. We did have one in a store once, though. We were at check-out and my dd said she had to go but I couldn't do anything about it right away.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #13
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In the very beginning, simply don't take her out. Seriously- go shopping when dad is home at night or on the weekend. After a few days of pottying though just be very prepared. Go pee before leaving the house. Locate the rest room right when you walk in a place. Even take her to try when you arrive to make sure she is empty- lol. Bring a change of clothes or two or three EVERYWHERE you go. I also carried a folding toilet seat that went on the regular toilet AND lots of antibacterial wipes and baby wipes. If you use the Gerber trainers they soak up a little more than regular undies so it isn't a flood- more like wet pants and a dribble down the leg.

You could also purchase some Imse Vimse trainers for going out. They are like undies, but much more absorbent (even than the Gerbers) and they have a waterproof layer inside the fabric. They are $12 each but totally worth it. We still use them at naps and nighttime even though he has been dry for a while now. I HATE changing sheets! LOL

Here is a link in case you are interested.
http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=144
she used to have free shipping on trainers- don't know if she still does.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #14
schmitz2308
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OK, DD is 14 mths. I bought her a potty b/c she would SOMETIMES wake up from night and naps dry. The first time I set her on the potty she peed. I thought "great, this will be easy". She also pooped in it the very next day. Since then she has digressed. I put her in gerber trainers and she peed right through them. It didn't run down her leg, just straight to the floor. So now I think that maybe I should just try setting her on the potty after sleeping (at night and naps) this seems to be the times that she uses the potty the best. She hasn't ever shown me that she needs to go, but she does know where the potty is. I think maybe she's just not ready and should put it off for a while. What do you girls think?
Old 07-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #15
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

my dd just decided that she was ready. She wanted panties like big sister and was dry right away. HOWEVER, we are having poopy accidents, one per day. She will sit on the potty and pee her brains out and then LITERALLY 10 seconds from getting off the toilet she will go hide in the living room and poop in her panties after we tried and tried and tried to poop on the potty. She won't relax enough.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #16
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitz2308 View Post
OK, DD is 14 mths. I bought her a potty b/c she would SOMETIMES wake up from night and naps dry. The first time I set her on the potty she peed. I thought "great, this will be easy". She also pooped in it the very next day. Since then she has digressed. I put her in gerber trainers and she peed right through them. It didn't run down her leg, just straight to the floor. So now I think that maybe I should just try setting her on the potty after sleeping (at night and naps) this seems to be the times that she uses the potty the best. She hasn't ever shown me that she needs to go, but she does know where the potty is. I think maybe she's just not ready and should put it off for a while. What do you girls think?

at this age, I'd look up EC (Elimination communciation) and use soem of those tips. My dd started just like that at 18mo. I left her in diapers until this past week (21mo) to alleviate the pressure. I offer the potty frequently and when I think she needs it and she asks when she wants to use it but if there's an accident, its not really an accident, she's just using her diaper like almost everyone else her age.

now that she's consistently using the potty more and is only going through a couple of diapers a day, I'm swithcing to trainers. I bought the snap-ez & cloth thoughts b/c the gerber & jc penny ones the pee shot straight through the floor and dh had a conniption. so we're still going fairyly slowly. when we'er home and I'm ready to commit to it more, I put her in the gerbers and am prepared to clean (I've only had to 1x though) as she gets closer & closer to 2 and becomes more and more proficient, I'll transition her to truer undies .

btw, there are stores where I will no longer take her b/c their bathrooms are NASTY and while antibacterial wipes are a good thing I have my limits as to where I can stomach taking her. so youmay want to check out your favorite stores befoer taking them in. And I keep a potty in my van. She doenst love it but has used it many a time.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #17
britjojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As has already been said, we didn't go out for two weeks. Not in the car at least, and no where that wasn't within walking distance. If I went to the local store, we took the potty and she went right before we left. It's only five minutes walk.
britjojo is offline   Reply With Quote