Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2007, 08:58 PM   #1
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone have dcs with asthma/reactive airway

Brady had his first big attack over a year ago. His only real triggers are colds, or infections of any kind, and his reflux. He is off of his oral steroids for awhile now and now we are weaning him off of his inhaled steroids (Pulmicort) since his attacks when he's sick appear to be the same. I'm just so nervous. Has anyone else done this or how do you manage your dc's asthma?

Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
bonniec_tn
Registered Users

Re: Anyone have dcs with asthma/reactive airway

We deal with the same issues. My DS is now 2 years old and he takes zyrtec and singulair daily. We also have a nebulizer for him at home with xoponex and pulmicort for inhalation. Also he has a xoponex inhaler with a chamber that we keep with us when we are out in case he needs it.
He is definitely worse when he has a cold but it seems that the 2 daily meds really help. He started with the zyrtec and still coughed alot then the singulair was added and they work very well together. I have been very pleased with the results. If only the price of the drugs were cheaper. After insurance covers their part we still pay about 80 dollars a month for his 2 daily meds.
Also, the 2 daily meds come in chewable tablet form as well as liquid. He takes the chewables much easier than the liquids that we tried. It is very easy to give him his meds

Last edited by bonniec_tn; 07-21-2007 at 09:30 PM.
bonniec_tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

2 of my 3 boys have "asthma"
We use Zyrtec for daily allergies (doesn't always work but has the least behavior issues for my kiddos, for some people allegra works better- my boys were terrors on that however)
We noticed a lot more environmental triggers than you have said, so we switched to all natural cleaning products, we cannot hang their clothing to dry.
We use xopenex or albuterol in the nebulizer along with Pulmicort when its really bad.
We also use another steroid when needed as well, I can't remember off hand the name, but I always make sure the doctor puts in the RX for at least one extra DAY of doses so that I can save it for the next attack in case it happens in the middle of the night (or when the power is out)
We also have rescue inhalers (with spacers) of albuterol.
But one child does well on his inhaler, the other HAS to use the nebulizer or the medication doesn't seem to sink in as well and we use the inhaler more often than we should.
We also use Advair for my older DS- its a double inhaled substance that includes a bronchiodialator which really helps during the winter season (as well as late fall and early spring). However, Without insurance this puppy runs 260.00 a MONTH!! without any other medication that is also needed.

It really depends on the child and how the asthma/ RAD presents itself- we were almost sent home from the ER one night about a year ago because his pulse ox went back up to 86 and the RESIDENT couldn't hear any wheezing in his lungs... Thank GOODNESS the resident wasn't the only human on duty, the over seeing doc listened and had to explain that a "crackle" as my son has is the same as wheezing. - his pulse ox dropped 15 minutes later to 69!! and then he was on meds all night to get him back to normal (at the ER- but he was given a private room because it was so late)
You definitely need to get with a good doctor and find out about Peak Flow meters (its very benefitial to have these especially as they get older) and make sure they are taking their inhalers properly (was part of our problem) as well as they check and switch meds occasionally as the children grow and progress or get worse through the disease.
My Middle son had the nebulizer most often when he was little, he had chronic bronchitis, at least 5 times a year on top of his constant ear infections. And as he has gotten older, he only has a rescue inhaler and his neb treatments (and has not needed but 2 sessions with the inhaler since he was 3 years old now!!)
Good Luck! but honestly, find a doc you can trust to give you FULL details, its not something to mess with because I know with my son, I didn't know something was WRONG when he had his last asthma attack until he was laying around and could not sit up because his head hurt so bad! (Headaches like his can be a sign of very low pulse/ox levels!! and his had dropped to 71 before I noticed he was really really sick!!)- ETA- He was 7 years old at the time and HE couldn't tell he was having trouble breathing, he just kept saying his head hurt really bad. It gets easier as they learn their symptoms. I have in his emergency information for school to send him home IMMEDIATELY if he has any type of headache.

Last edited by GrahamBaby4; 07-21-2007 at 09:56 PM.
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Ladies! How old do kids need to be before they can really use a peak flow meter?
Old 07-22-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 3 year old dd has asthma. We had to finally get rid of all 3 of our dogs. She has been 100% better since doing that. They were bringing in all the allergens, dust, dirt etc. They were never allowed in her sleeping area but still. We dont' have any carpet also and that helps. I wash her bedding and curtains often and make sure our home is as dust free as possible. We also absolutely do not wear shoes in our home. She gets really bad attacks and wheezing when she has a cold or allergens are around. We have a nebulizer with pulmicort and Albuterol. We also have emergency meds in an inhaler with spacer for her. So far she has been doing alot better since removing the dogs from our home. But when my dh mows the lawn, she has to wait at least 1-2 days before going outside to play or she will have an attack.