Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
elysian
Registered Users
seller

Help....paranoid first time mom

My 3 mo old has just learned to roll over from her back to her tummy. She always rolls with her arms trapped under her, and ends up flat, face down & struggling. She can't roll back over from what I can tell. She has started to do this any place I lay her down....crib, bed, floor. I usually end up rolling her back onto her back, and she just does it all over again. I feel like I can't leave the room at all.....the few times I've put her in the crib lately to take a quick shower, I run in to find her struggling on her tummy. She doesn't seem to know how to turn her head when she is like this....she's just face down on the mattress. She can get up on her arms if I put her arms out for her, but she doesn't seem to know how to do this herself. I'm just not sure what to do...any advice? I'm afraid she is going to suffocate if I leave her in her crib for even just a few minutes!

Advertisement

elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help....paranoid first time mom

If it's any consolation, my 5 month old doesn't roll at all... I think babies grow at different rates. They might be "behind" in some areas, but "ahead" in others.

Edited: I didn't read your question fully... what does she look like when you pick her up? Is her color good? Are her fingernail beds still pink? If so, then I'd say she's probably okay for a couple of minutes.

Last edited by togg_mama; 07-18-2007 at 03:09 PM.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

You could try and help her learn to turn her head when she is on her tummy , lay her down and when she rolls over lay down beside her , start to talk to her and call her name , try and get her to turn to your voice , take turns on each side getting her to turn to each side . Your not going to get her to stop rolling over so you just need to try and teach her what to do next , are there any toy's that she just loves ? Or nice shiny things of yours she will always want ? Try and temp her with those things that she can only get if she can get her hands out from under her , you will have to help at first but also will need to try and have her do it herself to , it may take a while cause all babies learn at their own pase and you both may get frustrated a bit so try to talk calm to her and only try for as long as she can , if she get's too upset about it she won't be able to do it , so it may start slwoly but thats what I would start trying .

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysian View Post
My 3 mo old has just learned to roll over from her back to her tummy. She always rolls with her arms trapped under her, and ends up flat, face down & struggling. She can't roll back over from what I can tell. She has started to do this any place I lay her down....crib, bed, floor. I usually end up rolling her back onto her back, and she just does it all over again. I feel like I can't leave the room at all.....the few times I've put her in the crib lately to take a quick shower, I run in to find her struggling on her tummy. She doesn't seem to know how to turn her head when she is like this....she's just face down on the mattress. She can get up on her arms if I put her arms out for her, but she doesn't seem to know how to do this herself. I'm just not sure what to do...any advice? I'm afraid she is going to suffocate if I leave her in her crib for even just a few minutes!
Mine all did this when learning to roll. I wouldn't lay her down if you can't be right with her. Even strap her in her carsear or something just to be sure. She'll eventually get the hang of it and get that arm out.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
Kels5kids
Registered Users
Formerly: Kels4kids
seller

My Mood:

You could find a positioner, it has triangles that goes on each side of the baby to keep them from rolling.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels4kids View Post
You could find a positioner, it has triangles that goes on each side of the baby to keep them from rolling.
::
Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Yes - a positioner. Priceless.

I always put LO in her bouncy, next to the tub, when I shower.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
elysian
Registered Users
seller

I thought I had read somewhere that the positioners were dangerous? Not sure where....anyone else hear anything like that? I hadn't even thought about putting her in the bouncy when I take a shower...good idea. I was so used to putting her in the pack & play bassinet since it's in our room. We have a stupid tri-level house & I have a bouncy on the first 2 floors...will have to get one for the third! We are desperately looking for a one level home....tri levels & babies don't mix!
elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd practice with her, say on the floor, about turning her head, or lifting her neck. Or even, just let her lay like that while you're right there, and help her figure out how to get herself up. I know Maddie, even when I doubt it, if left to her own devices will figure out how to get herself free. GL!

Elizabeth.
DD 7/2006, DSS 4/2008, DSS 3/2010, and Rose arrived after unmedicated birth on 4/9/2017!

mom2madison06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
bluebonnet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree w/ the other posters....lots of tummy time w/ you so that she can learn how to move her head and hands. Dangling fun toys in front of her can help motivate her to move her head around.

ALso...the bouncy seat was one of my best friends those first several months! It was the only way I could pee!