Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Food for thought

Before we know it Christmas will be here and we'll again be wondering what to get our darling children. Something unique and something they'll love.

Well I'll back up for a minute. My daughter has not been able to keep her room clean since we've moved into this new house and I knew something needed to be done. As she was packing for a week long trip to grandma's house I told her I was going go clean out her room and there wouldn't be much left when she got back. When she asked why, I told her it was because she couldn't seem to keep it clean. Being 8 she took it like a trooper and agreed. While she was gone I cleaned out everything except for one baby doll and the doll stuff that went along with it, her books and her craft items. Everything else got packed into totes.

Let's fast forward now to today. She hasn't missed a beat. She's playing like crazy with her baby (as is her brother lol), being much more creative again and reading tons of books. So that got me thinking. We homeschool and yes we have a ton of books but I thought it'd be neat to get each kid 1 REALLY cool book per Christmas. Something that really opens up their minds and imaginations - good literature. On top of that I talked with dh and we're going to go on a family trip, then just get the kids a few things for their stockings. We talked this over with our dd and she said she loved the idea. She even mentioned she could give away some of the toys I packed away for her

So, here's my challenge to you. We are down at the bottom when it comes to our nations literacy. How about paring down your kids toys, game systems, etc.... How about instead of buying oodles of toys and stuff that will get just thrown around anyways - take that money and go on a meaningful family vacation. They will always remember the vacations and time together as a family, but I can guarantee they won't remember the toys they got when they were 6.

Just something to think about

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Re: Food for thought

Thats a really neat idea!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do that. Our kids to get presents, but nothing like most families do. We want them to remember the real reason why we celebrate CHRISTmas. It is a time for worshipping and family. Our girls get 3 presents each(wise men gifts) and that's it. No santa. We also take a family trip during the winter months. Last year we went to the grand canyon and took a train trip there. It was great..snow and everything. I was 37 weeks pregnant at the time.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cool trip! We do everything you do only now we're adding the family vacation Yeah!
Old 07-22-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
Mrs489
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We love to buy "experience" presents for the kids. Last year A got ski lessons and E got gymnastics classes. Lots of fun, and nothing to clutter up the house.