Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
SAHMLamar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What chores can a 3 year old do? Suggestions?

We're going to try a new technique with Emory. I want to give her chores to learn the value of helping around the house and have an arsenal to use as consequences for disobedience and to help her feel responsible for somethings. I want her to become a contributing member of our house. Since she's the oldest, I have a hard time really knowing what she can do. Most parenting books I've read tend to be geared for kids just a bit older. (Like 5-7).

Just for the record, she's a young 3, like in May.

I'd love ANY suggestions you can give.

Advertisement

SAHMLamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
mondoowolfe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What chores can a 3 year old do? Suggestions?

We started with just toy cleanup. . . for us it meant putting the toys in a big bin and putting her books away in their basket. Then we started having her bring her dishes into the kitchen after a meal.
mondoowolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
AmandaS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Toy cleanup, dishes to the sink after dinner. Helping set the table for dinner (she can put out placemats, napkins, forks, spoons and butter knives.) She can help sort laundry on laundry day. She can fold washcloths. Help weed the garden (with supervision or you're not going to have anything left!) Feed the animals (you have a dog right?) That's all I can think of for now!
Old 07-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
bean3
Registered Users
seller

You can always "create" jobs as well. Give her a sprayer of water and some paper towels and let her "clean" the front of the appliances. They love sprayers at that age. Or she can use the sprayer to water plants.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
SAHMLamar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean3 View Post
You can always "create" jobs as well. Give her a sprayer of water and some paper towels and let her "clean" the front of the appliances. They love sprayers at that age. Or she can use the sprayer to water plants.
Guess that's where I'm stuck. The "creating" jobs that are age-appropriate.

I guess I feel like I have a very narrow view of what a 3 year old is capable of and in turn, am stunting her emotional growth. KWIM?
SAHMLamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Alrighty here is some ...

baby wipe cleaning/damp rag/disinfectant wipe:door knobs
widow sills
furniture
counter tops
counter faces
refridgerator face
kitchen table
kitchen chairs
high chair
toys
etc etc etc

Things they can do perfect or "best to their ability":

sweep
vacuum (depending on your v-machine)
dust
unload DW (in our house even my under two kids can do this- they put stuff neatly on the counters under th cupboard it goes in- if they have an item in a lower cabnet then they put it away)
Sort Laundry (in our huse when the laundry comes out of the fryer we sort into piles- girls, boys, baby, towles, kitchen towels, socks, etc, it is very easy and even very little kiddos can do that!
fold laundry- put away (we do not fold things like pajamas- they just go in the pj drawer so that is something even a very little one can do. However foldig things like wash clothes and even some clothes is a musr- it sets the stage for doing it themselves and the right way which is something theycan handle come 4- 4 1/2ish)
make their bed
put pillows on mom/dad bed
clean windows with windex
wash dishes by hand (they always love this one
set table
organize shoe closet
sort dirty laundry (We have a dark basket and a light basket in our laundry room- every morning the laundry baskets from the bathrooms get pulled into the laundry room and they sort darks and lights and then return basket to bathroom)
sweep drive way/sidewalk/porch/deck/etc
trim grass from walking path with scissors (they LOVE this one too)
starighten out messy cupbords
stack extra TP in bathroom cupboards
clean table after meals (especially Daddys stuff- its always great to have them serve daddy both his meal and clean up afterall, Daddy is King! Serving others is re-enforced and honoring another member-in this case Dad- of the family)
putting stamps on envelopes-
damp mopping with mop/sponge/or rag
cleaning up a younger siblings toys/bed/clothes
sort books/other items by size, color or whatever (no I am not anal and no do not require all my books from tallest to shortest- BUT it is a chore (and great lerning lesson on sizes) for a little one to do and I have done this before just for the sake of haing smething for that child to do)

alrighty my brain hurts now I can think of a lot of oter things as well but they are mostly team work.

Th best thing to do is to asign jobs were she is working them with you you will be able to teach her how to do the chore- modifing it for her skill level. When she has learned exactly how to do it and no longer needs your assistance you will know and that chore can now be added to her "by herelf list" this is alo important because you need to know if she is ding a chore to the best of her ability or being lazy and rebelious.
for instance- if you know that she can.... put pellows in correct rder on your bed in a neat fashion jst the way you have showed her and that she has correctly done for 4 days in a row...- you go into your room and find that the pillows are throw in a messy fashion on your bed and not laid nice and neat- now she has disobeyed- she has not done the chore right- this hs need for corrective disapline- maybe a swat or a chore conequence or whatever you do. And sh would need to go an finish the job right. Afterall a job not done right on purpose is a job not done at all- and that there is the key "on purpose" if it is something you know she can do because you trainedher correctly and gave her mple opporunity to do it on her own and she succeeded and then one day does it wrong- then it was purposeful- kwim?

Alright then if I can think of anything else I will let you know!
Old 07-22-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

everything WrapHappy said!

My youngest unloads the silverware (no sharp knives), she unloads the dryer into the laundry basket then drags it to the living room, she organizes the shoe closet (pairs them up), she picks up paper to put in the recycle bin.

My biggest thing is teamwork. Work as a team.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
AddysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

right now Addys only asked chores are that she picks up her toys and puts them back in the toy room, and she helps feed the cat.
if i am cleaning and she needs to be distracted and it works i will give her a damp washcloth and she will help wipe surfaces.
she also helps me sort dirty and clean laundry.
but, that being said, she HATES putting her toys away when asked and unless a game is made out of it wont do it willingly. and its not something i chose to make a battle over. so if my front room floor is a lil messy with toys, no big deal.
at this age we shouldnt expect them to understand chores and why they need to be done. but i find that most 3yo DO want to be big helpers, and really do enjoy helping, especially if its done in a fun game type way.
my 3yo jsut happens to be a lazy slob like her parents.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
Papooses
Registered Users

My Mood:
Lightbulb Re: What chores can a 3 year old do? Suggestions?

From Google....
http://www.supernannyrules.com/age-appropriate-chores/
http://www.printablechecklists.com/checklist11a.shtml
http://www.familyroi.org/Family_ROI_...ate_Chores.pdf
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/lv_hou...826458,00.html
+ About.com
Quote:
Some chores 2-3 year olds can do:
  • Help make the bed
  • Pick up toys and books
  • Take laundry to the laundry room
  • Help feed pets
  • Help wipe up messes
  • Dust with socks on their hands
  • Mop in areas with help
& GrowingKids.co.uk
Quote:
Giving children chores to do around the home can boost their responsibility and help them to play a productive part in family life. Younger children often love the chance to help with simple chores, although as they get older, there may be a bit more reluctance!

If you have problems getting your children to help, then you could devise a reward system. For example, develop a simple chart listing what needs to be done and when. As items get ticked off each week, your child could earn points and then the points could convert into rewards, such as pocket money, going to the park, going swimming or having their favourite meal.

Not all chores are suitable for all ages and as children get older, the types of chores they can do and enjoy doing will inevitably change. If you're looking for some great ideas for age appropriate chores, then read on!
  • Age 2 to 3
    • When it comes to chores, toddlers are often super keen! They like to copy and mimic your behaviour and help where they can and this includes things like tidying up. Enjoy this stage whilst it lasts, as the enthusiasm is likely to change over the years. You'll of course have to ensure this age are supervised when they're helping and you may have to lend a hand in some instances, but 2-3 year olds can be a good help.
      • Examples of appropriate chores for this age group include:
        • Picking up toys and books
        • Helping to make the bed
        • Feeding pets
        • Choose clothes to wear
        • Sort laundry
  • Age 4 to 5
    • Under 5s are still likely to find chores exciting and fun and they often welcome the chance to learn new chores and develop existing skills. They might not need quite so much supervision, but they may well thrive on reward schemes.
      • Great chores for this age group include:
        • Clearing the table
        • Setting the table
        • Carrying shopping
        • Helping to put shopping away
        • Dusting
        • Helping with the basics of preparing a meal
Leila did pretty much everything I did, when I did it -- it's a family activity.... We make it fun with music to dance along with, etc.

Last edited by Papooses; 07-22-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Papooses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:22 PM   #10
tuckabella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my son was 2 he put away the silverware (no sharp knives) from the dishwasher.
Now he helps collect trash and sort the laundry (before washing and after). He "folds" the washclothes (doesn't come out well, but we are working on it), and finds sock matches. He also helps me clean the bathroom by cleaning the shower doors (He actually BEGS me to let him do this)(we have a kid safe cleaner). HE helps put groceries away. I know there is more that I just cannot think of right now.