Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

Driving after a c-section

Does anyone have any experience with driving yourself home from the hospital after a c-section? My OB discovered that this baby will probably be born prior to 39 weeks, which is when my husband already arranged to take time off work thus backing himself into a corner.

If I go into labor anytime between now and Christmas I will most likely be on my own due to us being military and him being out at sea a lot.

We already have 3 kids but luckily our oldest is 17 and able to care for her sisters. However she doesn't drive.

The only pain meds I took after my last c-section (beyond the initial pain block they used) was Motrin and I plan to do the same thing again this time so heavy duty pain meds won't be an issue.

The hospital is only about 10 minutes away and they don't allow v-bac births. I'm just nervous about them refusing to release me without a driver.

Advertisement

Addicted2Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Driving after a c-section

They won't release you without a driver. Even off pain meds. I asked because my son was in the NICU and I was being released but was going to board. But when it actually happened because I was cleared to be released without a baby I could have driven and nobody would have known since I was cleared and then walked myself to the NICU to be with my son. But with a baby, they take you and baby out to car and they won't release unless you have a driver.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our hospital here would refuse a release for either type of birth without a chaperone to get you home. That is my understanding anyways. They will allow a taxi however, is that an option?
megs715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Same here. I don't think it is the pain meds that are the sole concern but rather your recent wound plus have just given birth.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

They won't release you even in absence of pain meds bc you use your abdominal muscles to drive.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for replying. I'll have to figure something out. Ughhhh.... Wish my husband hadn't made plans so far in advance. This is what happened when I gave birth to our last kiddo. We were close to family/friends that time so it worked out.

A taxi may be my only option.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Chocolate View Post
Thanks for replying. I'll have to figure something out. Ughhhh.... Wish my husband hadn't made plans so far in advance. This is what happened when I gave birth to our last kiddo. We were close to family/friends that time so it worked out.

A taxi may be my only option.
He needs to contact his commander and let him know the situation. Your doctor can provide documentation but I doubt it will be necessary (everyone understands babies come on their own time). I don't know your dh's job but usually it can be worked out so he doesn't have to go durning your delivery window but if it can't be helped ,then they need to provide some support for your family. If nothing else they need to provide a ride home for goodness sake. You are away from friends and family because of the military so they have people who can help fill in the gaps. As another military spouse I can say nothing makes us happier than bringing a meal and helping each other out. I can't tell you how many kids I have watched and meals I have cooked but the favors were returned ten fold to me when I needed it. Have your dh let the commander know what is going on then get in touch with your key spouse or head of family support for his unit. There are so many people who would love to help and you shouldn't have to do this with just you and your dd.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks ladies. I contacted one of my husbands former co-workers who is stationed at a land billet now. She is more than happy to help me out with both my kids and getting me home from the hospital.

Phewww.... What a relief. Now I can relax and focus on staying pregnant for just a couple more weeks.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am glad you managed to work things out.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote