Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #11
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Emergency vs. planned

I think this a good question for your doctor or even the L&D department at your hospital. (You could always discuss this with a midwife too)

I did discuss this with my DD's pregnancy. I had placenta Previa & decided to do a natural birth. I was given the option of a planned C-section. I was told that since I was doing a "natural" birth, I would need an IV once admitted. If you already have an Epidural, they can use that to give medication. I was told I would be "knocked out" and not be able to see the birth if it was an emergency C-section.

**We were discussing that if the placenta abrupted, I would hemorrhage & bleed to death. They would need to immediately take baby via c-section & stop bleeding. This would have been a true Emergency C-section ... not just an "unplanned at the start of delivery" C-section.

I gave birth vaginally without complications.

Advertisement

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:25 AM   #12
Bump2b
Registered Users
seller

Re: Emergency vs. planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaroo View Post
I think the biggest difference would be the possibility, as qsefthuko said, that in an emergency there might be the need for a vertical incision. Also, the potential use of general anaesthetic instead of the regular epidural. Both options would lead to a longer recovery for the mum.
A vertical incision occurs for births that occur at an earlier gestational age. The baby is higher up in the abdomen and hasn't dropped yet so the usual horizontal incision down below just wouldn't reach baby. There are more risks for vertical incisions vs. horizontal incisions and I am pretty sure once you have had a vertical incision you aren't a candidate for a vbac (vaginal birth after cesarean). Like previous posters have said you would also be more likely to go under general anaesthesia for a dire emergency.

ETA having a look I found this info, might answer some of your questions...
http://americanpregnancy.org/labor-a...ean-procedure/

Last edited by Bump2b; 06-03-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Bump2b is offline   Reply With Quote