Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Depo-Provera to control wacky periods?

Here's my story: 36 years old, 2 kids, no interest in having more biological children. Ever since AF returned after the birth of my son, she has been going several days longer and heavier than before. My GYN prescribed a low-dose BCP, and I used it for 5 cycles with no improvement. If anything, things got WORSE (lots of breakthrough bleeding that didn't go away after the recommended 3-cycle adjustment period). Went off that pill.

Earlier this month, I had an U/S done to determine if I'm a good candidate for ablation. Long story short, the grapefruit-sized fibroid in my uterus means I'm not. The GYN thinks it wouldn't help at all. So she gave me 3 alternatives: Depo-Provera, fibroid embolization (go in and cut off the blood flow to the fibroid to shrink it), or a hysterectomy. I chose DP because I'm a little young for a hysterectomy, and even the embolization would require an overnight hospital stay and some recovery time--not really an option when my son is still nursing 1-2 times per day.

Question: has anyone else done DP to relieve a long period and experienced a decrease in their blood flow while on DP? I'm desperate to get AF back to lasting less than a week.

And yes, I do use mama cloth almost exclusively, only using disposable pads when traveling. Unfortunately, I haven't found the relief while using them that so many women claim to have found, and I've used them for about 3 years.

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
littlegmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Depo-Provera to control wacky periods?

Both my sisters were on Depo as teenagers and had no period. When they got off, it took FOREVER for them to re-regulate. One took a year on fertility drugs to conceive, the other never did (Married for 10+ years and never prevented). I'm told their experiences are unusual, but I'm terrified of the shot. So, yeah. Depo would probably relieve your long periods. And if you're done having babies, no worries, go for it.
littlegmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Update: after 5-6 weeks of nothing more than very light spotting for a couple of days, I have had light to moderate flow for 2.5 weeks straight. Urgh, hope everything regulates soon or I'm getting off this thing!
Old 12-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coquelicot View Post
Update: after 5-6 weeks of nothing more than very light spotting for a couple of days, I have had light to moderate flow for 2.5 weeks straight. Urgh, hope everything regulates soon or I'm getting off this thing!
I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Is there a way to go off it or dies it just have to wear off?
Old 12-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I could just not get the next shot, I guess, but in the meantime I don't think there's anything I can do. I'm going to try and give it one more chance. If I'm still bleeding like this by the end of that shot's 3-month span, I'm done with it.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coquelicot View Post
I could just not get the next shot, I guess, but in the meantime I don't think there's anything I can do. I'm going to try and give it one more chance. If I'm still bleeding like this by the end of that shot's 3-month span, I'm done with it.
Ok that is what I thought but I didn't know if there was a way they could lessen the effects of it to help with the bleeding. I had a friend who was on it 15 years ago (I have no idea if they have changed the dosage since then) and it took forever for it to leave her system.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:18 AM   #7
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I stopped having periods & gain a bunch of weight that wouldnt go. So I stopped depo I think.
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdle, send Earnings, yaarlo referral code JESSA398, ibotta, BrowseU, survey cow unlock referral code is8513604729
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote