Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #11
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fishy smell to frozen milk??

It certainly could be high lipase, however, I find a fishy smell when the breastmilk is shaken because it breaks down. It's still "good", but my LO refuses to take it also. I have high lipase, and it usually smells like soap.

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #12
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia90 View Post
It certainly could be high lipase, however, I find a fishy smell when the breastmilk is shaken because it breaks down. It's still "good", but my LO refuses to take it also. I have high lipase, and it usually smells like soap.
Thanks mama. I was careful not to shake it but maybe I swirled it too roughly. I'm gonna thaw another bag tomorrow and see if it is the same.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #13
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine smelled rotten when thawed. My son would refuse it unless it was heated up hot. Our daycare was afraid at first because they had to warm it up so hot. It didn't help freezing it right away either. If your going to mix with formula is try 1/4 formula and 3/4 bm it half and half. Unless your Lo is used to the taste for formula?

Sent from my EVO using DS Forum
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #14
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendow View Post
Thanks mama. I was careful not to shake it but maybe I swirled it too roughly. I'm gonna thaw another bag tomorrow and see if it is the same.
It could certainly be the mother who handled it before you as well. Maybe try smelling it before swirling it, and then smelling it after swirling it. If you find that it is from you swirling it, you could mix the milk by squeezing the milk storage bag after heating it under warm water. It takes very little disturbance to get it to mix that way. =)