Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
tender breasts...possible pregnancy and nursing

The last few days I've noticed my breasts were very tender. My cycles are all over the place since having DS a year ago. So, I've also had some other signs of possible pregancy and decided to take a FRER this morning....BFN. Then, took a dollar tree test this afternoon, simply cuz it was begging me to test! LOL! There was a blaring second line! So then I opened my second FRER but spilled my pee that I was gonna used to test it, and tried to use the dip stick to sop up the spilled urine. How stupid I am! LOL! BUT, the urine took forever to go up the strip, and I walked away from it and came back several minutes later. There was a possible second line, but nothing like the other test. So, I'm gonna test tomorrow morning, but now I'm freaking out!!

Anyway, my nipples are super sensitive, and my son won't nurse on them as long either, like they are not my breasts or something. Is it possible that my milk is already changing?

Also, my last 2 kids were born a month early. Is it too dangerous to continue to nurse my son with my history? I'm not sure what to do.

Also, DH is gonna kill me!!!! I'm not saying a thing until I'm showing! LOL!

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Re: tender breasts...possible pregnancy and nursing

Before I got my BFP, I noticed DS nursing more often, pulling off more and I was more hungry than normal (and more tired!). It's possible my milk changed that early. I definately noticed a dip at 8 weeks, and then it was gone completely at 18ish.

I'm no expert, but I don't see any reason why having pre-term babies would matter when it comes to BFing your current LO.

And as for your DH... Again, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure he was a willing participant in the conception

Hopefully congrats!!!

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippieintraining View Post
Before I got my BFP, I noticed DS nursing more often, pulling off more and I was more hungry than normal (and more tired!). It's possible my milk changed that early. I definately noticed a dip at 8 weeks, and then it was gone completely at 18ish.

I'm no expert, but I don't see any reason why having pre-term babies would matter when it comes to BFing your current LO.

And as for your DH... Again, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure he was a willing participant in the conception

Hopefully congrats!!!
Thanks for your input! I was concerned because I know that nipple stimulation can cause contractions. If I'm pregnant (I don't know yet), then I would think that nursing would cause an increase risk for pre term labor especially if I've experienced it with 2 of my kiddos. I would hate it if I caused pre term labor. I know thats way down the road and such....I'm just trying to get a lil insite on it all.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

my DD was born at 35 weeks im currently pregnant again and nursing my midwife is fine with me nursing her when i was pregnant with her i nursed my DS the entire time even when on bedrest for preterm labor and it never caused contractions for me
Old 06-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
imacowgirl2
Registered Users
seller

I've just found out I'm expecting with DD being almost 11 months old so I've been doing a lot of research. It seems like most medical research shows that nursing won't cause pre-term labor until the 24th week at the earliest, and over on kellymom it says that the effects of oxytocin on the uterus (as far as causing labor) aren't a concern until 37 weeks. However, all of that being said, I'd definitely be talking to your doctor about it with your history of pre-term labor.

I'm 8 weeks along now, and my DD has been popping off more often, and wants to nurse both sides usually (she's been a one-side-at-a-time baby since about 1.5 months old) now...and my pumping output has dropped to nothing (two weeks ago was 6-7 oz/day, now I'm lucky to get 1/2 oz/day). My nipples have been somewhat tender, but nothing unbearable, so I'm hoping we can continue nursing and that I'll have enough milk for the next few months to avoid formula supplementation, and after that hope she continues to nurse enough that we'll be able to tandem nurse when my milk supply comes back after the new baby.
imacowgirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
ym mama
Registered Users
seller

My nipples get sore every month when I ovulate. So... maybe it's possible you're ovulating and not pregnant?! But, my bet is that you're probably pregnant considering the other signs. Congrats!
ym mama is offline   Reply With Quote