Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Do I need to wake her at night to feed?

DD is 2 weeks old (as of yesterday) and slept about 7 hours last night. I was surprised. She co-sleeps. She woke up once and I went to feed her and then realized we had both gone back to sleep before she even latched on. She was 10 lb. 2 oz. at birth and has been gaining weight since then, as far as I know. She goes back in today for a check-up so I'll know for sure how much she is gaining. She gulps when she eats and has constant wet/dirty diapers so I feel like she is getting plenty.

She doesn't sleep that long every night but when she wants to, is it okay?? And how long will it take for my milk supply to regulate? I've had a clogged duct on the left since Sunday (had mastitis too but that seems to be getting better) and I don't want it to get worse again if I don't feed often enough at night. If I need to set an alarm, I will. Any help is much appreciated!

Advertisement

justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
bbraymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do I need to wake her at night to feed?

Yep, let sleeping babies sleep as long as they are peeing and pooping all that good stuff. It might just be fluke or it might be something she will do regularly. If it's something shes going to do regularly, your body will adjust. If it's every once in a while, your body will adjust. Right now, your milk supply is hormonally based and usually women see a regulation around 6 to 8 weeks. You can take lethicin for the clogged ducts.
bbraymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

My milk supply leveled out to dd2's needs around 4 weeks. I hardly leak at all this time. With dd2, I leaked until she was 6ish months old before my supply leveled out.

I would not wake her! Hopefully she'll keep it up and you'll get some great rest for having a little newborn around. If it's a fluke, well, ya enjoy it when it comes.

Eta: I had a clogged duct once. I fed more often from the clogged side (like 2 times on the clogged side for every one time on the other) and also did "dangle" feeding. Maybe try that if you haven't already. Mine cleared up within 36 hours. Hope that helps!

Last edited by ThreadsThatBind; 06-03-2011 at 07:41 AM.
ThreadsThatBind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

I don't wake a sleeping baby to nurse. I got fussed at about that at the hospital with DS2, so I just lied to her. I see NO reason to wake a sleeping baby. They will wake when they are hungry. As long as baby is having pee and poo diapers, it's all good. Enjoy the sleep!

ETA.. DS3 is 2 months and I still leak at letdown. With DS2, it took about 3 months to level out. Hipping it levels sometimes soon for this one!

Last edited by My Sweet Blessings; 06-03-2011 at 07:56 AM.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So long as she's gaining and dirtying plenty of diapers, I wouldn't wake her. Your body will adjust, be it she sleeps long stretches consistently, or goes back and forth. For the first 3 months, DD was an amazing sleeper, only waking once to nurse. Then she hit the infamous 4 month sleep regression and her sleep went down the drain fast and hard

It took my body about 5 weeks to regulate. I remember freaking out thinking my supply was gone because for over a month I had been used to MASSIVE breasts. Then one day I noticed that my boobs felt and looked empty (compared to when I was engorged). I leaked for a LONG time, though, even when my supply regulated. Every woman is different, though.

P.S Nurse on the clogged side as much as possible until it clears. It will probably be uncomfortable, but it should help.

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We wake ours consistently through the day to nurse, at 2 weeks, its usually every 2.5-3 hours. But after their last feeding when I go to bed, we let them sleep until they wake. Mine have periodically thrown 6-7 hour blocks by 4 weeks, and consistently went 8-9 hours by 10 weeks. Enjoy your sleep mama!
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
noahs naturally
Registered Users
seller

Yep, like the other PPs, no need to wake the baby! At the hospital, they said it was fine to let the baby take the lead if s/he has already gained back the lost birth weight. I had clogged ducts/mastitis when my older child was a baby... NO fun. It helps to massage the duct toward the nipple while you're nursing (painful at first, but you'll notice it getting better). I think I've also heard people recommend putting cold cabbage leaves on it for relief? GL!
noahs naturally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Greenebean214
Registered Users
seller

Let her sleep!! I am jealous of you, girl!! LOL I'd only wake up to pump if you got uncomfortably engorged.

Do you have warm compresses for your tatas? NUK makes them (hot/cold) and they were the best thing ever when I had a clogged duct last week.

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Well I feel stupid now. My dd is 3 months old, first baby, and I always woke her to sleep until she was about a month old. I didn't plan to birth in a hospital, but it happened that way because she was early, and they scared me with the whole " you have to nurse every 2 hours so the baby's blood sugar doesn't drop". I used to let it go 4 hours once at night and two 3 hour stretches, but she was sooo sleepy I always had to wake her even during the day. She once went 6 hours where she refused to wake up and nurse and I was freaking out!

She always had tons of wet/ poopy diapers but she dropped almost a whole pound within 2 days after she was born. And it wasn't due to lack of supply, I had plenty of milk, she just wouldn't eat.

I could have used the sleep! Silly me....
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
bbraymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy View Post
Well I feel stupid now. My dd is 3 months old, first baby, and I always woke her to sleep until she was about a month old. I didn't plan to birth in a hospital, but it happened that way because she was early, and they scared me with the whole " you have to nurse every 2 hours so the baby's blood sugar doesn't drop". I used to let it go 4 hours once at night and two 3 hour stretches, but she was sooo sleepy I always had to wake her even during the day. She once went 6 hours where she refused to wake up and nurse and I was freaking out!

She always had tons of wet/ poopy diapers but she dropped almost a whole pound within 2 days after she was born. And it wasn't due to lack of supply, I had plenty of milk, she just wouldn't eat. I could have used the sleep! Silly me....
IMO, this is different than what the op has going on. I think in your situation, I would have woken the baby. Sleepy babies need to be woken up.
bbraymom is offline   Reply With Quote