Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do I need to wake her at night to feed?

Wow thanks for all of the responses!! DD's doctor's appointment went great- she gained 11 oz. in 11 days so she is now 10 lb. 15 oz. The ped agreed that there is no need to wake her since she's eating well, gaining, peeing, pooping, and seems content. I appreciate the suggestions for the clogged duct/mastitis too. I would like to try the warm compresses. I tried warm wash cloths but they got cold so fast. That sounds very comforting! Oh I hope she keeps sleeping well at night! I'll enjoy it when I can get it though I'm not counting on it. Thanks again mamas!!

Advertisement

justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
Jaci
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy View Post
Well I feel stupid now. My dd is 3 months old, first baby, and I always woke her to sleep until she was about a month old. I didn't plan to birth in a hospital, but it happened that way because she was early, and they scared me with the whole " you have to nurse every 2 hours so the baby's blood sugar doesn't drop". I used to let it go 4 hours once at night and two 3 hour stretches, but she was sooo sleepy I always had to wake her even during the day. She once went 6 hours where she refused to wake up and nurse and I was freaking out!

She always had tons of wet/ poopy diapers but she dropped almost a whole pound within 2 days after she was born. And it wasn't due to lack of supply, I had plenty of milk, she just wouldn't eat.

I could have used the sleep! Silly me....
Don't feel silly mama, you did what you needed to do! Preemies and near-termers can't always wake themselves up to eat, so her losing a lot of weight and not waking to eat is something serious, you did exactly the right thing.

To the OP, please be careful! The first six weeks of breastfeeding is what establishes your supply. A baby who sleeps through the night so early is not going to help increase your supply to what it needs to be to sustain a baby from 6weeks to 6 months (a little tidbit, the first six weeks establishes your supply, after that from six weeks to six months the baby consistently will eat the same amount of breastmilk every day with the exception of growth spurts. If you spend the first six weeks not establishing a good supply, it can be difficult to get up to what your baby will then need through six months.) Basically what I'm saying is it wouldn't be a bad idea to wake up to pump if you find that she consistently sleeps more than 5 hours a night.

I'm going to guess that your baby just went through the two-week growth spurt. GS take a lot out of babies! Don't feel bad or be surprised if you find she doesn't sleep seven hours again!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #13
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaci View Post
Don't feel silly mama, you did what you needed to do! Preemies and near-termers can't always wake themselves up to eat, so her losing a lot of weight and not waking to eat is something serious, you did exactly the right thing.

To the OP, please be careful! The first six weeks of breastfeeding is what establishes your supply. A baby who sleeps through the night so early is not going to help increase your supply to what it needs to be to sustain a baby from 6weeks to 6 months (a little tidbit, the first six weeks establishes your supply, after that from six weeks to six months the baby consistently will eat the same amount of breastmilk every day with the exception of growth spurts. If you spend the first six weeks not establishing a good supply, it can be difficult to get up to what your baby will then need through six months.) Basically what I'm saying is it wouldn't be a bad idea to wake up to pump if you find that she consistently sleeps more than 5 hours a night.

I'm going to guess that your baby just went through the two-week growth spurt. GS take a lot out of babies! Don't feel bad or be surprised if you find she doesn't sleep seven hours again!
Thanks for your concern, mama! DD is definitely not consistently sleeping through the night that long and I wasn't really expecting her to. I think you're right about her going through the growth spurt - eating every hour, and when she wasn't eating, she was sleeping all day AND all night. Great advice - I appreciate it!
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
OneElevenEleven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'll start off by saying I haven't read the other replies. But IMO you let her sleep! My little one slept 11 hours one night at 5 weeks and has slept no shorter than 9.5/10 hours at night since. She's a chunker too and at the top of the weight, length and growth rates of babies her age. She happy as a clam and the pediatrician is impressed by her awareness, health and weight gain. She was born at 8.6 lbs and gained that weight back in like 4 days and hasn't slowed down since! As long as you aren't seeing it affect her growth or health then I say to let your LO sleep. sleep is good.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

As well as all my other furry babies..

Paws, Hooves & Diapers
OneElevenEleven is offline   Reply With Quote