Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Water

I have been breastfeeding dd for two weeks now - this is my first child and so it is also my first time bf. She has made it really easy for me so far!
Anyways, does anyone get this craving for ice cold water when they start nursing?! I feel like I am dying of dehydration. I always have a large bottle water with ice with me through out the day... so this feeling is really weird! Just wondering if others crave water when bf...

Advertisement

Last edited by CntryMama; 06-04-2011 at 06:27 PM.
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
trinalb
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Water

Yes, it is a totally normal response from your body to keep yourself hydrated and produce more milk. With DS I think I drank about 500mL (about a pint) of water during each nursing session throughout the day and night. Keep giving in to the craving; it's a healthy one!

Norwex Independent Consultant | ISO Plus-size SSC, WCMT/HB w/ptw straps, L side-snap swim dipes & European wool clothing
trinalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

totally normal...i'm incredibly thirsty too, alllll the time. BM is largely made from water so you need it
Old 06-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nursing makes me so thirsty. For my 2nd son my husband bought me this huge water bottle with a handle and straw so I wouldn't always be asking for more water. DS is 10 months old and I still drink a ton of water.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
dawbs
Registered Users

My Mood:

yep. It makes you parched. And hungry.
Throughout the first 5 months, every night the Mr. would have to get up to fill my water bottle and deliver another granola bar to the nursery.
dawbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Me too! I'm nursing a 1mo and have been drinking 5-6 quarts of water a day.
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

I go to bed with a LARGE glass if ice next to me and a large water bottle full. I get up in the morning with it all gone. I can tell what time of night it is by how melted the ice is

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
ym mama
Registered Users
seller

Oh yes! The first 1-2 months with EVERY SINGLE FEEDING. Then, it gradually dies down. :-) Good Luck!
ym mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #9
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawbs View Post
yep. It makes you parched. And hungry.
Throughout the first 5 months, every night the Mr. would have to get up to fill my water bottle and deliver another granola bar to the nursery.

Here too - For the first few months DH would just get up in the middle of the night (always has to pee in the night) and he'd go to the kitchen first, grab a snack bar or nut butter pack and some kind of drink (kombucha, coconut water or water) and hand it to me without saying a word

Then I just got wise (or something like that) and I go to bed with a big full glass of water next to my bed so I can slurp it down during the night, and I am now finally eating maybe enough calories so I'm not so starving at 3am! Seriously, we calculated it a couple weeks ago, and on average I'm at about 4000 calories/day Seriously. Yikes.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote