Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

What would you do? Home birth/choosing midwives

We live in a 2nd story 870 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment. Dd will be 4 1/2 years old when baby #3 is born and DS will be a little over 2 yrs old.

I want to have a home birth. I don't know if that is a good idea of not though. DD and DS could be in the living room and/or 2nd bedroom while I labor in the bedroom. It's not much different than being in a birthing center and laboring in the bedroom there, right? I'm just wondering if being stuck in one room is ok.

Also, I don't know who to have there to watch them. My choices are pretty much my MIL or my mom. I don't want either of them leaving the apartment with the kids. But I don't know how I feel about labor with either of them there. I definitely don't want either of them in the room with me.

Then we have to find some way to kick MIL or my mom out so we can relax and just have our family together after the baby is born .

I know this probably sounds like homebirth isn't a good idea but I want my kids there. In the birthing center, I don 't know if my mom or MIL would be allowed to stay with my kids there the whole time I'm in labor.

Then I thought that maybe we could wait until super close to delivery before calling my mom or MIL to watch the kids, but I don't know how easy it will be for DH to help me and the kids.

The other dilemma I have is which birthing center midwives to use. The one I used with DS has 4 midwives (place #1). There is 1 that I just didn't really connect with and don't think her personality would be great for me in labor (but I could be wrong). Then DH and I visited place #2 today. There are two midwives there. I really liked the first midwife but then we talked to the second midwife...and there was just something I don't like about her. Place 1 is about 20 min away and place 2 is 5 minutes away/right down the street from us. If I have a home birth, this really only matters for going to appointments. Place 2 is also $750 cheaper.

I'm sorry this got so long!

Advertisement

jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've heard of people hiring sort of a second doula to keep the other children busy during labor. Perhaps one of the midwives has a suggestion for you. I imagine midwives have handled this situation many times before.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
dherder
Registered Users

Re: What would you do? Home birth/choosing midwives

I labored at home and was louder than I expected I would be. My MIL was with my son in the bedroom and it was at night. He did wake up ... and was concerned... had it been during the day I think he would have been scared. I delivered in the hospital. While I missed him ... it was nice I didn't have to worry about him and could focus on laboring and baby.
dherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What would you do? Home birth/choosing midwives

My kids were in the next room and they slept through it. They were surprised there was a baby there in the morning.

I wasn't quiet.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote