Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #21
Registered Users
Re: Do homeschooled kids do homework?

Right now DD is in Kindergarten so she has no independent work, however as she gets older, she will be assigned work that she needs to complete in X time such as a report or a project (although I will be there to help if she needs just like a parent of a schooled kid.)

As for homework that supports what we did during lesson time, no. During the course of a lesson, I can judge whether she is getting it or not and don't feel the need to assign work to do on her own. If she is struggling, then I just slow down on the lesson or cover it again.

DD will do things on her own throughout the day that aren't directed by me, like writing, reading, and drawing, playing computer games, etc., and while I consider that learning it's not required.

cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post

I wanted to say, I only tell my son he has to finish it before the next day or over the weekend when *he* is the one who caused us not to be able to get it done by doodling or fussing. I don't make him finish if it's through no fault of his own that we didn't get it done. And, it's only happened a handful of time.
Same here. If dd1 is to busy screwing around then she has homework that day. I have a 1st grader to teach as well as a 4month old to take care of. I dont have the time or energy to sit on top of her. She will also have homework if she rushes through her work. For example last week she had a test. Part of it was writing a paragraph. It was so messy I couldnt even read it. I have talked to her multiple times over the last 2.5yrs about the importance of writing neatly and finally had enough. So for homework that day she had to rewrite the paragraph and copy a page out of a science book. The week before she rushed through her math and missed an absurd amount of problems so she got to redo the page as well as an extra page as homework.
House Goddess & mama to 8 yr old princess L , 6 yr old mama magnet J and 9mos old love bug C

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 04-23-2013 at 09:32 AM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #23
Registered Users
Re: Do homeschooled kids do homework?

Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
It's all homework. Institutionalized school has homework for students because they are unable to fit everything into one day...
Gaiaschild is offline   Reply With Quote