Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Keeping rooms clean. I stink at this parenting gig.

THANK YOU MAMAS!

You have seriously given me so much to think about! All great suggestions!!!

I had a long response typed out explaining a few more things, but it's too long and really unnecessary.

I just want to clarify one thing. The kids were playing with one thing, and when I asked them to clean, they kept getting more stuff out. So the mess was made AS I was reminding them and asking them to clean. It wasn't a disaster area initially, it would have been really easy to clean up in 5-10 mins. DS cleaned up for the time I asked them to, albeit slowly. DD sat in the middle of the floor and played.

I didn't give her more time on the timer b/c I had already given her a whole heck of a lot of time to clean up. Had it been the first, second, maybe even the third time I'd asked her to clean up, I would have just reset the timer.

I like the music idea. That sounds WAY better than a timer. And would be useful for short clean ups. "ok, clean up until the song is over! Then we can go back to playing!"

DD does already have drawers for all her toys, and her toys fit in them just fine. It's simply a matter of picking them up and putting them in there.

I am going to consider confining toys to the main area only. We already have some out here. And it may just be that we need to keep those and purge the rest. This way this issue won't even exist. There may be a few toys that I will let the older kids keep in their rooms. But, I really like this idea. It's so much more manageable and visible that way.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote