Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #21
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: JuneBugs Chat, Mother's Day week!

Ok here it is! It comes from The Spunky Coconut Blog

Carrot Cake

Add to bowl:
4 room temperature eggs (cold eggs will harden the coconut oil)
3 cups shredded carrots (I do this in the food processor)
1/2 cup coconut milk

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce or honey (I like half of each)- I used mostly apple sauce with 2 tbsp honey
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified (I think grapeseed oil would also work)- I used grapeseed
1/2 tsp vanilla stevia- i just used regular vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
Combine.

Add:
2/3 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/4 cup arrowroot
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice

Mix with electric mixer.

Add:
1 cup chopped walnuts- I put in coconut instead
1 cup raisins

Fold in the walnuts and raisins.

Pour into 9" springform pan, lined with unbleached parchment paper on the bottom only.

Pack it down into the pan with a rubber spatula, and smooth out the top. It looks too dry and thick, but it comes out light and fluffy :-)

Bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes.

Let it cool completely in the pan, then go around the edges (the walls first, and then along the bottom of the pan) with a knife to release it.

I like to slide it onto my cake plate (rather than try to pick it up), since it's kind of big and awkward. I think if you refrigerate it first it would be easier to transfer.

The only thing is make sure its cooled completely before you put it in the fridge otherwise it gets a little gooey!

My Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting recipe- This isn't dairy free, I suppose you could use a vegan cream cheese replacement or just make the coconut whipped cream for the top

4 oz cream cheese
1/4 coconut cream (put your coconut milk in the fridge and the cream will seperate and be easier to scoop out)
2-3 Tbsp icing sugar to taste or other powdered sweetener to taste

Whip the ingredients together until its the consistency you want to spread on the cake. You can add more or less coconut cream to taste.

If you want completely dairy and sugar free just whip the coconut cream and spread it on the cake.

I topped it with sprinkled coconut after I was done too. Its was delicious!

AFM- My DH left for his trip this morning but hopefully he will be back wednesday and I'm just going to relax and putter around and try not to stress about it. My contractions went away, haven't had any since getting up this morning (thank goodness!) So stress is probably not such a good thing right now.

Advertisement

Last edited by lemurkinsmommy; 05-14-2012 at 09:13 AM.
lemurkinsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #22
~Sherry~
Registered Users
seller

I don't even like coconut and I want that.

Question- Doulas? Have you had a doula and how was it with one? I won't be laboring, but my hospital offers them for c-section Momma's as well. I've never had a doula. It would be nice to have an extra person there for me while DH goes with the baby.

We have our hospital tour tonight. DH graduated over the weekend and today is his first day on the road with his FTO. Family left out this morning. The NST friday went well and they said they'd call today. I haven't heard anything so I'm hoping it's good news I haven't heard anything. I do have an OB appt tomorrow though.
~Sherry~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #23
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Sherry~ View Post
I don't even like coconut and I want that.

Question- Doulas? Have you had a doula and how was it with one? I won't be laboring, but my hospital offers them for c-section Momma's as well. I've never had a doula. It would be nice to have an extra person there for me while DH goes with the baby.

We have our hospital tour tonight. DH graduated over the weekend and today is his first day on the road with his FTO. Family left out this morning. The NST friday went well and they said they'd call today. I haven't heard anything so I'm hoping it's good news I haven't heard anything. I do have an OB appt tomorrow though.
I can tell you from a doula's perspective lol! I think its great your hospital offers them for c-section mama's. If I was in your situation I'd absolutely consider it. A doula's support changes for c-sections as opposed to labor but its still very beneficial to have one for the emotional support side of things.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #24
~Sherry~
Registered Users
seller

Good to know! I'm really considering it. DH and his cousin (she went to the baby fair with us) both think it's a good idea and that it's nice they are offered in the ORs as well.

What kind of things do you do? I know it'll be different for everyone, but just to get an idea.
~Sherry~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #25
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I think doulas are awesome, esp for hospital births! For ME for homebirths, I just prefer DH and my kids, and maybe a friend (so really, she acts as a doula). In the hospital, they can help advocate for you, run out and get more ice chips....etc, etc. while DH concentrates on you. We are having a doula bc we have to have someone else there since we are having DS with us.

Thanks for the insights on when everyone feels comfortable delivering at home or clarification on full-term. I know my DD is accurate bc going by my conception date, I am due June 6th and by my LMP, June 7th, so not really a discrepancy! I really think my 36wker had a lot of problems bc I had PROM and pre-e, so they induced me and did LOTS of vag checks, etc (I was uneducated 19 yrs ago) and I think he got sick and infection bc of those things, not necessarily bc of his being 36wks (he was 7lbs 5 oz at the time). Well, I will be 37 wks on Thursday and that's when I have my GBS test, so DH said to pack the car just in case (the OB office is at the hospital), so I think I will have the bags in there and the carseat. Ya never know.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #26
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Good to know! I'm really considering it. DH and his cousin (she went to the baby fair with us) both think it's a good idea and that it's nice they are offered in the ORs as well.

What kind of things do you do? I know it'll be different for everyone, but just to get an idea.
Our hospital has the one support person during c-sections rule and no one allowed in recovery. So its a bit different. Alot of the times the mom has to decide between her partner and her doula. In a situation where I was going in with her, I'd be her main support emotionally, with the ability to explain what was going on as well as helping her to communicate if something didn't feel right etc and I would stay with her until she went to recovery then I'd go be with her partner and baby. If she chooses her partner to go in then I explain the process beforehand, kind of a quick this is what you should expect, help the partner to feel comfortable with voicing concerns for mom etc and then I just sit and wait until they come out with baby and the partner then I stay with them and help with baby until mom is out of recovery.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
if you were to have a homebirth, planned or "accidental", how early would you do it?
Anything 37 on I'd be ok w/ personally. Just go w/ your comfort level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
I hope you're sitting down, lol. Last Wednesday I suddenly got horrible back pain and uncontrollable shakes. Went to the hospital and have been diagnosed with kidney stones in both sides, bladder infection and pneumonia! I've been on an IV for antibiotics and morphine since then. Not sure when I can go home yet. Was hoping tomorrow, but that doesn't seem very likely right now.

Baby girl is doing REALLY well given her environment. So I'm very thankful for that. I'm also in a hospital only five minutes from home and my family, so they visit almost daily. I also have the nicest room in the ward: a private with a view of the river and a nice breeze.
Oh my! I sure hope you feel and get better soon! No one likes the sickies esp preg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffyjolove View Post
Well went to see mw Saturday. I'm apparently spilling sugar in my urine. My bs one hour after supper was 132 and two hours after was 129. And my fasting glucose this am was 93. Apparently higher than they want it to be. So now I'm worried how do I eat correctly and still allow baby to grow as I'm measuring small. (Bang head) and sorry for my horrible lurking lately. Im just so preoccupied.
That doesn't seem real high to me but I'm no "sugar expert" (even though I like to eat it a lot lol). I second the protein thing.

Quote:
Have you had a doula and how was it with one? I won't be laboring, but my hospital offers them for c-section Momma's as well. I've never had a doula. It would be nice to have an extra person there for me while DH goes with the baby.
That's really cool your hosp offers doulas for mommas I thought it'd be nice to have one but DH would rather it just be us and I'm ok w/ that.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #28
princesslilahsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just have to say...I can't believe i'm 35weeks! I'm a procrastinator though so I know that I will not actually get anything done on my to-do list until june. I have my gbs test tomorrow at my drs appt...fun times. I can almost guarantee that i'm gbs+, I was with the last two babies. Started all my supplements...epo, rrl, 5w- 1 a day this week, 2 a day next week ect...plus i'm upping my iron and taking probiotics.
princesslilahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #29
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had my doctor's appointment today, completely uneventful and boring lol! he doesn't do cervical checks so I just go get my urine tested, blood pressure, weight, baby's heartrate and fundal height. Although I did get my first set of prenatal records which I take with me to the hospital. It seems rather real now lol! Oh and I get to pre-register at the hospital too, the dr's office faxes them my info then they phone me and we do a phone interview for registration.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #30
MacyKM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had my appt today- I was for sure that she would induce today because of Bp- nope. One.more.week. Of pointless bed rest!! I mean if I wake up from a nap and my Bp is 163/106 what is the point of bed rest? Ugghh- I did cheat and go to dinner a few times- when I got home my Bp was good?? Anyways- I'm scheduled for next Monday at 10pm for my induction. They do the meds all night then hopefully I have baby midmorning. (sigh) I know I shouldn't complain but gosh I'm done lol!
Anyways- sounds like everyone had a good weekend?

For Custom Embroidery- It's Sew Macy
MacyKM is offline   Reply With Quote