Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:
June Buggers October Chatter

I thought we should have a separate thread for general chatter. October will be Week 2-9... test results, first appts and starting of our first trimester pregnancy symptoms.

Praying that all the little beans stick

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: June Buggers October Chatter

I've been Paleo for a couple of years now preparing for this pregnancy. I've done a lot of research in the area...(including purchasing/reading Chris Kresser's healthy baby code) anyways I wanted to share this with you. We are told to take folic acid, when in fact folate is far superior. Chris goes on to explain how your body actually digests the two differently and why folate is better. Folate is the natural b9 vitamin found in food vs folic acid which is a synthetic replacement found in most supplements and food that has been fortified with it. Since this.. DHA, and Vit K are so essential to pregnancy I thought I'd share.

http://chriskresser.com/folate-vs-folic-acid

I am currently taking Green Pastures Cod Liver Oil/Butter Blend and Pure Encapsulations Nutrient 950 with Vitamin K for my supplements. As well as a minimum of 1lb of cold water fatty fish (salmon) a week, lots of eggs from my own chickens that free range, grass fed meats, and lots of veggies. At some point I'll start eating a little liver...havent yet got up the nerve.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good to know, Activia!

I'm really think I should see a nutritionist right away and get me on a good, healthy, structured meal plan for this pregnancy. I gained almost 60 lbs with DS #1 and do not want to do that again! Food was just so good - anything with sugar... fruit, cookies, juice. I'd like to gain 30 or less this time. If anyone has any good websites with meal plans... lemme know
Old 10-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
Good to know, Activia!

I'm really think I should see a nutritionist right away and get me on a good, healthy, structured meal plan for this pregnancy. I gained almost 60 lbs with DS #1 and do not want to do that again! Food was just so good - anything with sugar... fruit, cookies, juice. I'd like to gain 30 or less this time. If anyone has any good websites with meal plans... lemme know
Personally I think standard nutritionists pretty much suck they usually just spout the USDA recommendations. I've been reading about food for 2+ years and have spent a huge amount of time in forums/groups talking about it...I even went to a conference..I've read studies, heard from different doctors....yes to obsession level lol

Here's a really high level.... cut as many processed foods as you can manage and stick to real foods. Eat lots of veggies, meat/chicken (if you can get grass fed it's preferred), buy QUALITY eggs!! such a huge difference in nutrition (and taste) and the yolk has all of the nutrition, cold water fatty fish, some fruit/nuts/tubers/liver.. limit grains (especially gluten ones)/sweets/processed foods. As for dairy raw whole as much as possible..at least whole if you cant get raw or cant get a good clean source for it (I have my own goats in the backyard). You want to consume lots of good healthy animal fats (I know what you're thinking ) and olive oil/coconut oil and stay away from processed "vegetable" oils (if you saw how canola oil was made you'd never touch it again...with industrial solvents..watch it on how its made).

Here listen/read this: http://chriskresser.com/the-healthy-...cast-episode-7

and if you are interested in more sources/recipes..etc let me know... trust me I know that some of this sounds counter to other thins that you have heard. What I find interesting is some conventional doctors do tell woman to switch to full fat dairy if they are having trouble conceiving..... and then after they conceive they tell them to switch back.

I have been eating this way for years...so I have tons of quick/easy recipes cause I'm lazzzzy...and yet I make all my own food. My friend also went through her pregnancy this way..and the only thing she added was some oatmeal/rice crackers when she was having some bad nausea during first trimester.

Last edited by activia; 10-01-2013 at 03:03 PM.
activia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activia View Post
Personally I think standard nutritionists pretty much suck they usually just spout the USDA recommendations. I've been reading about food for 2+ years and have spent a huge amount of time in forums/groups talking about it...I even went to a conference..I've read studies, heard from different doctors....yes to obsession level lol

Here's a really high level.... cut as many processed foods as you can manage and stick to real foods. Eat lots of veggies, meat/chicken (if you can get grass fed it's preferred), buy QUALITY eggs!! such a huge difference in nutrition (and taste) and the yolk has all of the nutrition, cold water fatty fish, some fruit/nuts/tubers/liver.. limit grains (especially gluten ones)/sweets/processed foods. As for dairy raw whole as much as possible..at least whole if you cant get raw or cant get a good clean source for it (I have my own goats in the backyard). You want to consume lots of good healthy animal fats (I know what you're thinking ) and olive oil/coconut oil and stay away from processed "vegetable" oils (if you saw how canola oil was made you'd never touch it again...with industrial solvents..watch it on how its made).

Here listen/read this: http://chriskresser.com/the-healthy-...cast-episode-7

and if you are interested in more sources/recipes..etc let me know... trust me I know that some of this sounds counter to other thins that you have heard. What I find interesting is some conventional doctors do tell woman to switch to full fat dairy if they are having trouble conceiving..... and then after they conceive they tell them to switch back.

I have been eating this way for years...so I have tons of quick/easy recipes cause I'm lazzzzy...and yet I make all my own food. My friend also went through her pregnancy this way..and the only thing she added was some oatmeal/rice crackers when she was having some bad nausea during first trimester.
I'm thinking a nutritionist because they can help me set up some meal plans. But, I hear ya. Thanks for your advice! We don't eat much for processed foods except the occassional can of soup or baked beans. My problem is more the amount that I'm eating and of course the sugar! I'll listen to that podcast on my way home on the bus.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I'm thinking a nutritionist because they can help me set up some meal plans. But, I hear ya. Thanks for your advice! We don't eat much for processed foods except the occassional can of soup or baked beans. My problem is more the amount that I'm eating and of course the sugar! I'll listen to that podcast on my way home on the bus.
Excellent

I forgot to mention I am a recovering sugar addict myself. That one is tough to battle. When you cut out sugar and only eat healthy real foods..the "eating too much" will take care of itself..trust me. Soup is so healthy if you make it yourself! Buy a whole chicken then use the carcass to make the broth in the crock pot..freeze the broth and then use it to make all sorts of soups when you need it.

Here's one example of meal plans:
http://ultimatepaleoguide.com/paleo-diet-meal-plans/

The only thing I would change in that ^^ is add another meal of cold water fatty fish. DHA is so important during pregnancy. I actually got these salmon pouches on amazon (BHA free). http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

They are pretty inexpensive, especially for wild caught salmon!! They are so easy..what I do is just take them out and throw them in with some salad greens and veggies and add olive oil/balsamic vinegar.. for lunch. It's quick/easy/fairly inexpensive and VERY healthy. Sometimes I heat them in the microwave with some white rice and already cooked veggies if I want something warm. They are my new favorite thing I've been eating Salmon almost everyday this week.

I can help you come up with some customized for you, if you want my help. (or anyone else around here..) I've helped a lot of others in the past.

You can find paleo friendly nutritionists if you look as well. So not all nutritionists are equal.

Last edited by activia; 10-01-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Whoa I got a sudden bout of extreme Nausea...

OK now I'm starting to feel more pregnant.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:

haha so apparently I must have had a hormone surge last night.... I had that bad nausea, my breasts got REALLY REALLY sore (and still are)... I got up to pee 3 times last night, and had a very "wakeful" night sleep.

"I have to peee soooo bad" ...gets up to pee.. "that's it?????!!"

Well gosh darn now I FEEL pregnant.

Last edited by activia; 10-02-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activia View Post
haha so apparently I must have had a hormone surge last night.... I had that bad nausea, my breasts got REALLY REALLY sore (and still are)... I got up to pee 3 times last night, and had a very "wakeful" night sleep.

"I have to peee soooo bad" ...gets up to pee.. "that's it?????!!"

Well gosh darn now I FEEL pregnant.
Wait until you're like 36 weeks and peeing hourly!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Wait until you're like 36 weeks and peeing hourly!
What if I'm already peeing hourly? Only 35 weeks to go