Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
mandymtl
Registered Users

Annual gifting budget

How much is a customary amount to spend on a nephew/niece's gift? We have 6 nephews and nieces total and am trying to figure out how much is appropriate to spend on each. Any difference between a birthday vs. Christmas gift? Thanks!

Advertisement

mandymtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We spend $30-40 for each of my 6 nephews birthdayS. If we find something they would really enjoy that's above or below that price, that's ok too. For Christmas, I think I ended up only having to spend like $6 a kid, we just exchange pj's.

To me personally, birthdays are more special. It's all about the child and no one else, so it should be more appropriate to spend more for birthday than Christmas.
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Re: Annual gifting budget

I give $20 per child per birthday. Nothing for Christmas. I eliminate the birthday gift once the child turns 10. If I could go back in time and never have started giving them anything, that's what I would do, but we had already set the precedence for my oldest nephew so I feel like it needs to continue with the younger ones.

It just seems like they don't even notice. We don't get thank you notes or anything. I have no idea what my aunts and uncles gave me as gifts and never cared. My parents' and grandparents' gifts were all that mattered to me as a kid.

Last edited by Melinda29; 12-28-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We don't typically exchange gifts for niece/nephew birthdays. For Christmas on one side of the family we draw names and then do $20 each, on the other side we do a family gift of up to $40.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Nothing. I only have one sister with kids and we don't exchange gifts.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:20 PM   #6
averinriansmeme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 1 niece and 3 nephews and they live 3k miles away. I send them $10 in mail for birthdays and for Christmas we haven't normally gave anything but will budget for it next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
drabekgirl
Registered Users

Ok so I have 20 nieces and nephews(between us including half and step siblings their are 17 of us siblings, but we don't do anything for the step ones). This year we opted for $5 for each, and gave them all the same thing (a trip to an indoor water park its cold in WI for months). And for my side I send them a b-day card. But I am apparently the only auntie to do anything for birthdays.
Typically its $5 for Christmas for my side and a basket for each family on Dh's side, but the older kids are now off to college and one is married so than do you give the married one a basket too and by the time all 12 on that side are married I'll be in the poor house. They have exchanged names, but that means remembering to exchange them in the summer when they are all together, and half bro isn't invited to this event. I really liked 2014's Christmas on dh's side the kids all exchanged notes of encouragement with a candy bar!
Old 01-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #8
belindacampbell
Registered Users
seller
seller

I only have 3 nephews. It depends on what they need. This year we spent between 15-35 each for christmas(we have a small family and don't do gifts for the adults).
belindacampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #9
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In the past year I dropped some birthdays because it was a hard year for us. We have 7 nephews, all from the same family, and it can be a lot. The past few years I've given them a dollar amount for their age plus some type of small consumables (snacks or whatever). They don't end up with too much stuff, it's simple, and they're pretty happy.
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote