Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:55 AM   #21
miabean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Too old to BFIP

I nursed mine in public until they weaned. My first was a little over 2 and my second was on his 3rd birthday.

Advertisement

lactivist, intactivist, cloth diapering, crazy mama to THREE boys
miabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #22
amandabarugh
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Tree_Grows View Post
Again, I'm applauding here. When we say we're not ashamed but it makes us uncomfortable when we consider what others might be thinking - then who has the power and why are we surrendering it to them?
I totally agree with what she's saying, as well. NIPing, even my older kiddos does not make me uncomfortable. Hell, my current 2YO NIP probably more now than he did as a newbie. I could care less what other people think.

My 4 YO nursed in public right up until his younger brother was born. He was 2+ at the time. I can't explain it, but after Toby was born, nursing Ian was like nails on a chalk board for me. I hated doing it. I continued to do it for 2 more years, setting the limits on our nursing very slowly, and he even still nurses on the rare occassion now. But nursing him in public was no longer my priority at that time. Again nothing to do with shame or other people's thoughts, but my own level of comfort. I just didn't like nursing him anymore. I had to place certain limits on it, like no NIP in most situations, for my own sanity.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #23
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good question. I just nursed my 13 month old in the church sancuary today <grin>. The older lady a couple of seats down didn't look amused, but hey, dd is still a baby in my mind.

I think the oldest I've actually nursed a toddler in public was around 16 months or so? Personally, I don't think that I would feel comfortable nursing a toddler past two years old in public.

I would be fine seeing an older toddler being nip though.
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #24
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With my DS I intended to nurse him 2 full years maybe even 2.5, however, I became pregnant with DD when DS was 13 months old. I still wanted to give him his 2 full yrs so I nursed him all throughout the pregnancy and when I weaned him within 24hrs I was in labor. My labor with DD (homebirth) was only 3hrs (INTENSE 3hrs) and 15 mins of pushing. I decided since I weaned him at 23 months that I was going to tandem nurse and did until he was 25 months and I cut him off because he was becoming violent to DD a newborn.

With my DD I became pregnant when she was 20 months and again I intend to nurse her until she is 2yrs (this Sept). I NIP with both of them but I'm Muslim and I wear a headscarf so when I needed to go out I would wear a extra long breezy scarf. My children nursed without anyone noticing until they would magically appear from under my scarf. lol I startled quiet a few people.

Before I was even married I attended a speech in the mosque and all the women were sitting together and at the end the speaker (still sitting) started answering additional questions. I then saw a little kid come out of her scarf and play nearby. LOL! he had been nursing the WHOLE time! I was STARING at her during the whole speech and didn't realized he had nursed, taken a nap, nursed again and came out to play nearby. So I kept that in mind for future use in case I ever got married.

so for me no problems NIP, if they were hungry it didn't matter where I was or with whom my children were always fed.

Last edited by Umm_Ibraheem; 07-15-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

maria-that's awesome...i am so impressed how discretely some women do it.
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #26
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

I have no problem nursing my 9 month or 23 month old in public
Old 07-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #27
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umm_Ibraheem View Post

Before I was even married I attended a speech in the mosque and all the women were sitting together and at the end the speaker (still sitting) started answering additional questions. I then saw a little kid come out of her scarf and play nearby. LOL! he had been nursing the WHOLE time! I was STARING at her during the whole speech and didn't realized he had nursed, taken a nap, nursed again and came out to play nearby. So I kept that in mind for future use in case I ever got married.
That is just so cool