Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #51
brookglen
Registered Users

Re: What are you eating?

Okay, I made a broth of miso vegetable stock, basil, sliced mushrooms, and thinly slice onion, halved limes, and chile paste (you can probably use regular chicken stock just as easy, but we are trying to avoid meat right now). I made a huge pot of it and put it on the back burner to simmer for a bit while I prepped everything else.

I steamed some veggies from my garden, sweet corn, sweet peas, white carrots and a few royalty purple green beans. (the fresh corn and peas were key in my opinion, but you can really use any thing you can tolerate right now, I gave my husband all the carrots, blah).

Boil the soba noodles for 3 minutes until aldente. Place a full serving nicely in the bottom of a bowl, arrange vegetables over the noodles.
THEN! I medium poached an egg and placed that over the noodles and vegetables and then finished it all of with a ladle full of broth (be sure to get the mushrooms!)

Garnish with some finely sliced green onion or basil and a squeeze of lime over top and Enjoy. You can get really creative and add any kind of protein like chicken or pork. I would have done some shrimp if we had any lying around.

Advertisement

brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #52
brookglen
Registered Users

Also here is a link to my BIL's food blog where he covers ramen. It is of course way more sophisticated than my simple recipe above, but it can give you more ideas.

http://beerandnosh.com/2010/02/richies-ramen/
Old 07-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #53
momomommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookglen View Post
Okay, I made a broth of miso vegetable stock, basil, sliced mushrooms, and thinly slice onion, halved limes, and chile paste (you can probably use regular chicken stock just as easy, but we are trying to avoid meat right now). I made a huge pot of it and put it on the back burner to simmer for a bit while I prepped everything else.

I steamed some veggies from my garden, sweet corn, sweet peas, white carrots and a few royalty purple green beans. (the fresh corn and peas were key in my opinion, but you can really use any thing you can tolerate right now, I gave my husband all the carrots, blah).

Boil the soba noodles for 3 minutes until aldente. Place a full serving nicely in the bottom of a bowl, arrange vegetables over the noodles.
THEN! I medium poached an egg and placed that over the noodles and vegetables and then finished it all of with a ladle full of broth (be sure to get the mushrooms!)

Garnish with some finely sliced green onion or basil and a squeeze of lime over top and Enjoy. You can get really creative and add any kind of protein like chicken or pork. I would have done some shrimp if we had any lying around.
Yum!! That sounds amazing and pretty easy! I can't wait till I'm cooking more again. I love to cook. I'm going to pin your brother's blog so I can remember to go back to it!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #54
brookglen
Registered Users

Yes, the desire to cook is key. I only got back into the swing of it three nights ago.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #55
momomommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Yes, the desire to cook is key. I only got back into the swing of it three nights ago.
And now I'm going to have to check out your brother's beer, too....if I can find it. I'm thinking of having my husband search for it on his drive up to Seattle.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #56
MommyMeads
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have no desire to cook. DH said everyone at work is making fun of him because he is eating canned soup (yuck) for lunch. Today I had a craving for spinach and artichoke dip and fiesta tortilla chips from fresh and easy so I picked them up and they were amazing. My MIL will be here in a few days and she usually cooks because she is so picky. She makes pretty plain food so I should be able to eat her food without a problem and enjoy not cooking.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #57
mariannec32
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookglen

This sounds so delicious, but I think I'd somehow manage to mess it up. I wish I could snag some from you!

I am still on a major Mac and cheese kick. It's a wonder that even with MS I've still been able to stuff my face. I think hunger makes it even worse for me. Luckily I've only gained 5lbs, so I'm feeling pretty good with that since I gained 15 of my 35 lbs in my first trimester with my son.

I am really craving some chicken salad today though... Off to the kitchen to whip something up!

ISO: New or EUC Planetwise hanging/large wetbags, Simplex OS, bamboo prefolds.
mariannec32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #58
brookglen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomommy View Post
And now I'm going to have to check out your brother's beer, too....if I can find it. I'm thinking of having my husband search for it on his drive up to Seattle.
Oh you should, they are stocked at most LA Bevmos and i think Costco will carry them during the holiday season. They put a new one out season but my absolute favorite is the winter wit. It has blood orange in it. They are putting out one that will be all year round called Honey Seison (doesn't that sound like heaven?) He has promised to send me one once I'm in the thick of the second trimester so I can at least try it.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #59
momomommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Oh you should, they are stocked at most LA Bevmos and i think Costco will carry them during the holiday season. They put a new one out season but my absolute favorite is the winter wit. It has blood orange in it. They are putting out one that will be all year round called Honey Seison (doesn't that sound like heaven?) He has promised to send me one once I'm in the thick of the second trimester so I can at least try it.
Oh cool, I assumed they'd just be in local areas, but I'll have the husband check at bevmo!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #60
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

brookglen-awesome, so trying this...

AFM-sloppy joes (turkey) with squash and zucchini hidden and potato fries...yumos.
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote