Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any mamas from Monterey?

If so, how do you like it? What's it like? Do you own a house?
Will you post pics of your area?

DH may have a church job offer out there and we're considering it, but know little to nothing about the area. I'm also afraid we wouldn't be able to afford a home out there...

Any help is appreciated!

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
GBMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any mamas from Monterey?

Hey, Mama! Greetings from Monterey!

DH & I moved here from LA 12-1/2 yrs ago. The first big adjustment is weather & the second, as you mentioned is price of housing. BUT! Right now the price of housing has gone down significantly & things are much more affordable now than 2 yrs ago. Look at this site: www.mlslistings.com. You likely may want a home in Seaside or Marina as opposed to Monterey proper. They're a little cheaper. If you want to look & want to know what neighborhoods are good & bad, let me know.

As far as weather, coming from LA (like you from Phoenix) it was COLD here! 80 is considered HOT! LOL! High 60's / Low 70's is the norm. You do acclimate, though. Now we go to LA to visit family are b dying if it's over 90! The first 6 months we really missed LA. 6-12 months we started to acclimate and become more familiar, after 12 months, there was virtually no going back! It's such a much slower pace of life without the crazy freeways. When it's not uncommon for the 5 o'clock headline news story to be about an animal story or some other happy story, you know you're in a different place!

If you really wanted a little warmer, you could live in Salinas, which is a good 10 degrees warmer or more. It's just a little more of a commute. Again, just be sure you know the good neighborhoods.

What church are you potentially headed to? Love to have another DS Mama here on the Central Coast.

FS/IHA:
EEUC Mutts, GM: NIP OBVs, New Amazon & MCZ, Bram. Rose, Rites of Spr., Cowboys, Cuddlebuns, SOS: EUC Knit & NIP OCV, Wool: SB'ish, Luxe, Recyc., Knitted

Last edited by GBMama; 07-14-2008 at 09:54 AM.
GBMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
GBMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I forgot a couple of your questions.

Yes, we purchased a home 6 years ago.

For a good variety of pics, google "Monterey" & click on images.
Some websites http://www.ci.monterey.ca.us/ www.gomonterey.com www.montereypeninsula.org

Local paper: www.montereyherald.com

There's also tons of kid stuff & natural parenting support! http://www.pgusd.org/parents/ www.mbaykids.org http://classes.strollerstrides.net/monterey I have a non-vax friendly pediatrician too. http://www.cherubtyme.com/ http://www.expressedluv.com/

Hope that helps!

FS/IHA:
EEUC Mutts, GM: NIP OBVs, New Amazon & MCZ, Bram. Rose, Rites of Spr., Cowboys, Cuddlebuns, SOS: EUC Knit & NIP OCV, Wool: SB'ish, Luxe, Recyc., Knitted
GBMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
JaeCicc
Registered Users

I LOVE Monterey. We're a military family. We're not actually there at this moment, but we're on our way. We're moving back the beginning of August. Personally, I hate obnoxious heat and humidity so I thought the weather was perfect. The hardest thing for me was getting used to the lack of seasons. I grew up in Ohio, so I was used to having four balanced seasons. I really miss the fall when we're in Monterey. The upside to it though is that the weather is perfect for being outside year round, so there's no being stuck inside because it's too hot or cold, ever. You will run into rainy days, but only for part of the year. Other than the "rainy season" the only weather you'll really have is whether there will be clouds or sunshine on a particular day.

House prices are outrageous in Monterey. Seaside and Marina will be slightly better, but still crazy. Salinas better yet, but there's a commute involved and there's more "bad areas" of town there, but the overall cost of living would be less.

I can't speak to any of the parent/child kinds of things because we didn't have a kid last time we were there. This time we have a toddler and one on the way.

Anyway, just wanted to put in my little plug for Monterey. We're counting down the days!!

jae
JaeCicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to chime in and say I love the Monterey Bay it's so beautiful!!

I live in Marina, but work in Monterey.