Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #901
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Preggo Twin Mama Buddy Group!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
Crashing...but have to say how cute ALL the girls are...
Thanks!

Layney... it's hard. Now, they're just past your DD, right? And probably the NICU got them on a schedule? I'd just worry about keeping them on a schedule & stretch & stretch the feedings apart as tolerated. We didn't have the NICU, so they never really got regulated like that. So yeah, they started out at 1.5-2 hrs between feedings. At 7 mos, I have one who eats every 2.5 hrs while awake & one who's more like 3.5. But the daytime eater wakes once for a cuddle & doesn't really need to eat, while the other typically wants to nurse 1-2 times nightly. Honestly, cosleeping has helped me get some more sleep, but I told DP tonight that I'm bone tired. We have a crib at bedside & switch out who's sleeping there & who's sleeping in the bed. Occasionally, I get an hour or two without a kiddo in bed & it's worth it. Are you nursing or ffing? I nurse, but not tandem...I think tandem nursing would help with being more productive during the day (or getting a nap), & that the break between feedings at night is longer, but you actually have to get up, whereas I mostly sleep through night feedings now. Or, if you're ffing, could your DH maybe take a couple feedings on a weekend night so you can get a good block of sleep & then he could catch a nap during the day? It does get better. The feedings do spread out, the diaper changes spread out, naps (hopefully) last longer, & you eventually get to a place where theydont always need something, KWIM? And your DS & my DD1 are close in age...it took her several months to adjust, but we're now at an age where she can amuse the babies for a few minutes; they think she's hilarious & she lives an audience. And she really is helpful! You'll learn work-arounds, too. Showers are not something I'm willing to skip, but it's easier now than it was at the beginning. Now, I put a baby in the bouncy seat in the bathroom while I shower while I let my late sleeper catch a few winks. DD1 gets a bowl of oatmeal & a TV show & directions to come & get me if she needs anything. Anyway, sorry for the big block of text, my tablet hates paragraph breaks

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #902
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the reassurances, Carrie.

My girls resisted the NICU schedule, much to the nurses chagrin. They were not content with the 3 hour feeding schedule and insisted on eating every 2 hours anyway. Nursing was a major fail for me. I was nursing, then bottle feeding, then pumping every 2 hours, but I couldn't fit everything into the 2 hour cycles and, inevitably, one girl would be screaming because she wasn't being fed in time. Now I'm bottle feeding and trying to pump whenever possible, but I can't seem to find the extra 4 hours a day needed to pump enough (not that I would ever get enough anyway.) I can only make about half of what one baby needs each day.

Right now, DH covers feedings from 4am to 7 am, so I'm getting a good 3 hours of sleep in each day, but it's impossible to nap for more than 5 minutes at any other time during the day. DS is 4 and demanding more attention since the babies arrived but we kept him in daycare during the week, so I have a bit of a break there. I think the only way to get more sleep is to give up on the pumping and I'm not quite ready to do that yet.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #903
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh, also, are you wearing them at all? I wasn't able to wear both at the beginning (inexperienced w/ wraps), but I had a K'tan that was great & quickly moved on to a MT. I've done tandem front-back at 6 or so months but only w/ a BB2 b/c I'm a weenie about flopping a baby onto my back & I think it fits littler kiddos better. DD1 didn't like being worn, but it's been a lifesaver w/ twins.

I mean, they are only a week old, adjusted, right? It really is just plain hard. I wasn't able to nap, either, but had no qualms about letting them nap on me while i rested & watched a show...you take what you can get. Nights were easier if I didn't turn on the lights & such during feedings, b/c I could fall asleep easier.

And you know what? It's okay to struggle. This is HARD! And mine are hard for me (I was on the verge of tears the other day), but I have no idea how hard yours are for you. So much of it has to do w/ temperament--yours & theirs! I had some PPD & that made everything feel so much worse, too. I think it also affected the quality of the small amount of sleep I was getting, so once I started some meds(which I took for a couple mos), it felt marginally easier. And your girls are lucky for your committment to bfing/pumping. It does take a lot of time, though!

Last edited by carriek38; 06-29-2014 at 02:59 PM.
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote