Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
lfw802
Registered Users
seller

Re: Maybe moving to VT...

Chiming in really late here. I'm new to the forums, and live in a small town in southern Vermont. We moved here from Manhattan and couldn't be happier. We are moving to Lebanon, NH this spring to be closer to my husband's job, but if we could stay in our town forever I think we would.

We love the pace of life here, and we've gotten involved in the local music scene which helps for meeting people and knowing what's going on in town. If you're an outdoorsy person, you'll find lots of opportunity for skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, boating, etc depending on the season. I do my errands and shopping all at once so that I don't have to put too many miles on my car, and do some shopping online when I can't find things locally.

Seconding what AHASRADA said, you will find that some people in town are hesitant about "outsiders" but once you spend some time walking around town with your baby, people will recognize you and get to know you. I leave my house every day because I have a dog and work outside my home. So no matter the weather, the pup and I go out for walks together. I've gotten to know a lot of my neighbors simply because we are on the same schedule. One of them will yell down the street to me to make sure I'll stop by with the dog to talk football, town politics, or whatever else strikes his fancy.

For the most part, Vermonters are good people and look out for each other. We were here during Hurricane Irene and I was totally blown away by how hard people worked to get the state back to normal. In Grafton, a town near us, everyone brought all their farm equipment into the middle of town and worked together to figure out the best way to use it to get the roads open again. Simply amazing.

If you have more questions, or want to talk more about Vermont life, please PM me! I'm not a native, but I adopted Vermont as my own

Advertisement

lfw802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
heidya3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Maybe moving to VT...

I just moved to Vermont from Seattle last spring. So I haven't experienced a winter yet. Definitely nervous about it since Seattle is so mild no getting to hot or too cold in the winter. I tried to take my son out to the playground today and within ten minutes he wanted to turn around because his hands were cold (he was wearing gloves). The wind was bitter cold. We've been working on our wardrobe. You'll definitely need a new one, as we did coming from Seattle - Didn't have any wool to our names before we got here but certainly a requirement for the harsh winter here. We spent the Autumn up in Stowe and it was totally breath-taking, a rainbow of colors truly. As beautiful as the rainbow gum trees on the islands! Good luck!
heidya3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
lfw802
Registered Users
seller

What side of Vermont are you on? We are in Lebanon now, but just over the river to Vermont
lfw802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
bpirof
Registered Users
seller

I'm right across the ferry in ny :-) it's a pretty great area, small cities but fairly short drives to bigger areas like Boston and Montreal, Montreal is seriously my fav place, there's pretty good shipping in Burlington and at Albany is really close.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
bpirof is offline   Reply With Quote