Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #21
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Grieving my dream birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I am GBS- but what exactly is it and why is it a risk to the baby?
I just wanted to add that it can cause very serious illness, like meningitis. So it is a real concern. Antibiotics can greatly lower the chance that the baby would contract it.

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #22
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410

I just wanted to add that it can cause very serious illness, like meningitis. So it is a real concern. Antibiotics can greatly lower the chance that the baby would contract it.
I do want to add that you have to weigh your risks. I have very fast labors and water breaks only during my last pushes so baby doesn't have much risk to being exposed. And no matter what you test at the time of the test, it could have changed by the time you go into labor. There are no guarantees. When I discussed it with my midwife, who thinks antibiotics for it are way overdone, she said out of the thousands of births she had delivered, only one baby contracted it and it was from a mama who had tested negative. Baby was fine with treatment.

I decided what I was most comfortable with, and every mama needs to do that for themselves. You can have a natural birth at a hospital. I had five, and every time the nurses have been shocked and surprised by the fact that I could do it, and how quick the recovery is for it.