Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DCP mamas--what's 'sick'?

Daycare baby has a 'pretty bad cough' and is congested. I got a cold from his father but recovered really quickly. DD is now stuffy, but that's it. The baby's mama's asking if it's ok to send him w/ the sniffles/cough--IDK what to say.

My thoughts are that if he's not miserable and has no fever, it's ok, but what do YOU consider too sick to go to daycare?

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #2
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DCP mamas--what's 'sick'?

I'm not a DCP, but I send my kid to daycare.
Their rule is that they cannot come with a fever 101 or above. And, have to wait 24 hrs after the fever goes below 101 to bring her back.

For colds, they are okay with runny noses and coughs. However, one kid had a horrible horrible cough and they made him go home because he was keeping everyone awake at nap time.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbolen View Post
I'm not a DCP, but I send my kid to daycare.
Their rule is that they cannot come with a fever 101 or above. And, have to wait 24 hrs after the fever goes below 101 to bring her back.

For colds, they are okay with runny noses and coughs. However, one kid had a horrible horrible cough and they made him go home because he was keeping everyone awake at nap time.
yeah what she says is how our daycare operates (101 fever or above)..they deal with runny noses and coughs as well.

the in home daycare provider we just left (due to cat allergy in ds) would make us get him if he had a green runny nose..which meant infection most times...but was highly aggrevating to us as parents cuz he stayed sick with sinus and ear infections and that was a whole nother issue with his health as to why that kept happening.

He started a new daycare today and their rules are same as pp!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
Myles_104
Registered Users

My dcp rule was that they can't have a fever (anything you might medicate for) and as long as they can participate (not being lethargic) then they can come..
Myles_104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

What does your contract say?

Ours says they cant come if they have a fever of 100.5 or more. They must be fever-free for 24h (unmedicated) before returning. Same for diaherea & vomiting. They have to stay home for the first 24h of a cold then they can come back.

If they’re too miserable they do send them home though.

Its really hard, I cant keep my kid home for a snotty nose b/c she has one the good chunk of winter, but, if other parents kept their sick kids home, mine wouldn’t have a snotty nose kwim?
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Exactly.

We don't have a contract. It's my friend that I sit for (a former co-teacher). I told her the same--as long as he's not miserable and has no fever, he should be fine to come. His nose is a faucet but that Xlear Xylitol nasal spray is incredible at drying it all up. A nice lavendar bath this a.m. and he snoozed better than ever (just snored the whole time ) He's actually more pleasant today than usual--too tired to whine/cry, maybe?

Thx for the input ladies. I'm new to WAH and my friend's new to having a baby, so we're figuring it out as we go. DD's almost never sick and only once we told our nanny not to come due to a cold (because her other charges were preemie twins and we didn't want to start a cold chain), so I don't have a lot of experience in colds (thankfully--go BFing!)