Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
tasbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
State "information" about carseats

I periodically get "Child Profile" newsletters in the mail and have since DS was born. It is apparently a "service of the WA state dept of health" and provides parenting and safety type advice.

Anyway, the information is usually OK but not great. I just got one recently and it talks about the 3-year checkup, keeping teeth healthy, potty training and limiting TV among other things. It also has a section on "Keep using a car seat or booster seat." Here's the text from that section:

"When your child reaches about 40 pounds, she will outgrow her convertible or toddler car seat. Children this size are not tall enough to ride safely using regular seat belts. When your child reaches 40 pounds, move her into a booster seat that helps the lap and shoulder belt fit correctly. It keeps the lap belt from sliding up onto her tummy, which could cause serious injury in a crash. Current state law requires that children ride in a booster seat until they are 8 years old or at least 4 feet 9 inches tall."

So, I suppose that overall it's OK because I know a lot of people don't keep their kids in car seats anywhere long enough. BUT, why are they telling people to move their children into a booster seat at 40 pounds? So many car seats go well above that weight limit and although it's not the law, shouldn't they say to keep them in a regular car seat with a 5-point harness as long as possible?

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2008, 01:34 AM   #2
tasbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: State "information" about carseats

Here's a link to the newsletter which is sent to parents with little ones who are just about to turn 3.

http://www.childprofile.org/hpmats/3year.pdf
Old 02-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in washington too hi neighbor! anyway, I opted out of those when miranda was a year old because I was sick of getting "don't forget to get ____ shot when you bring your child for thier doctors visit" I found to problems with that. I didn't vaccinate and i didn't take my child to the doctor as often as they seem to think I should of. lol

As for the telling everyone to get thier kid in a booster at 40lbs... to me it seems like the main point is they are trying to let people know that you still need your child in something, not just the seat. it would be nice if they let people know there are other options, but I think they are just trying to tell everyone the law..know what I mean? just like when i bring miranda to the doctors and i see the poster with the kids in the different carseats, they don't show anything about you can get a 5pt harnessed seat up to blahblah pounds.. they are just talking about the law, not what's best for the child.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Yeah. It would be ideal if they included that information, but if they can just get everyone to keep them in some kind of safety seat, I think they'll be doing good. My brother drove up here to WA from OR with his 5 1/2 year old son in nothing but a seatbelt. He was staying at my sister's and when she saw that, I think she just about ripped him a new one!! She stated the law in WA and OR, which are about the same, 8 years anyway, and the safety issues. When she went to visit in OR, he was back in a booster. Much safer, even though we know he would be safer in a 5 point harness. My brother just won't go that far, but at least he is doing better, since every move up in safety seats is actually a move down in safety. KWIM? Me and my sisters just try to educate everyone we can on the subject and hope it gets around. I'm sure it will become more known and then stated in the literature as time goes by. More companies are starting to make higher weight harnesses now, so that will help.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote