Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
amiablesades
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question Plastic Storage Alternatives

So I've pretty much settled on Mason Jars as of right now, which seems like it will work best with the Mason Bottle Kits I found anyway, but I'm curious if any of you ladies have found an even better storage alternative? Perhaps in the silicone department? haha

Even if it's not exactly for breast milk, I'm interested in what any of you might have found! I can't find anything & I'm shocked!

Advertisement

amiablesades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
abh5e8
Registered Users

Re: Plastic Storage Alternatives

Are you looking for freezer or fridge or dry storage? I use mason jars for all three. Also snap lock containers for leftovers. I have never thought to use mason jars as bottles. We use the even flow classic glass bottles. They are about $14 for six from Walmart. I love that they fit on my pump, so I can pump, store, freeze and feed all from the same bottle. I have about 18 bottles and after that i freeze in the small mason jars or the plastic bags.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
Dani303
Registered Users
seller

I use mason jars too. I don't have a huge freezer stash, so it's not a problem, but if you were trying to store a ton they would take up a lot of space. I'm also using mason jar bottles but not the "Mason Jar Bottle" kit. You can buy comotomo bottle nipples that fit in the bands and I think it's cheaper than the "Mason Jar Bottle" kit. I did buy one of the Mason Jar Bottle sleeves to try and I think they're really expensive for what they are. I probably won't buy any more of those sleeves, but like the concept. Hope that helps if you haven't already purchased!
Dani303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #4
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

I'm planning to use mason jars too this time around. Going off of prior children as a guide, I will end up storing much more than just a few bottles worth, so I decided that mason jars were the most economical glass option.

I looked into the mason jar bottles and decided against them... they were SO expensive! And I read that there were problems with the rings, but sounds like others used them and didn't have any issues.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #5
Dani303
Registered Users
seller

If you don't care about silicone sleeves, then you can make DIY Mason jar bottles for cheap. Just regular mouth 4oz. or 8oz. mason jars, and Comotomo bottle nipples (2 pack for $7 on Amazon) fit inside the standard rings.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani303 View Post
If you don't care about silicone sleeves, then you can make DIY Mason jar bottles for cheap. Just regular mouth 4oz. or 8oz. mason jars, and Comotomo bottle nipples (2 pack for $7 on Amazon) fit inside the standard rings.
Good to know. That would be really nice to double the jars' use. Any issues with the rings or venting? Do you hand wash the rings?
Old 11-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #7
Dani303
Registered Users
seller

I only introduced the bottle a few weeks ago, but no issues so far. I do hand wash since I only have a couple, but I'd definitely hand wash and dry the rings at least since they are subject to rusting. Luckily they're cheap to replace if they do! The comotomo nipples are self venting and my newborn seems to do fine with them, they are known to work really well with breastfead babies and are highly rated. Sometimes the rings get a little tighter after sucking and can be a little tough to take off, but that's the only "issue" I've had.