Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
abemom2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What diaper pail to buy?

I have always used a wet bag, but purchased a Planetwise pail liner now. What kind of cheap pails/ garbage cans are recommended?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What diaper pail to buy?

I just use a regular plastic trash can I think it's 11 gal... 13 was too big cuz I'd always wait for it to be full.. Nothing fancy! And since having my 3rd I quite using pail liners I wasn't too sure how well that'd work but it's working just fine I just take the trash can and dump the diapers in the washer when it's time to wash easy least and no dumping left over water onto my foot from the trapped water in the pail liner! Lol
Old 12-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use a 8 gallon trash can with a flip top lid and skipped the liner as well. I just spray the can out when it needs freshening.
Addicted2Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
proudmommyjen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's not cheap, but I use a Diaper Dekor Plus! Works great for cloth and doesn't smell. I use Planetwise pail liners with it.

proudmommyjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

I use 5 gallon buckets, and spray them out when needed. I don't use any pail liners either.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
abemom2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't think a garbage can on its own would be good due to smelling. Why should water collect inside or spill over, if the liner is dumped in together with the diapers?

The way I do it now is dump the contents of the wetbag into the machine, and then turn the wetbag inside out. I have the Bummis one. I got it years ago, when the top was a lot narrower than it is now.

At least I got the liner at 40% off.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use a garbage can from Wal-Mart. I think it is the 11 gallon one as well. I don't use a pail liner either, not anymore anyway.

When you wash the pail liners they get water trapped in them. It was a major reason I stopped using them. I was afraid they were carrying dirty water from one cycle to the next.

To prevent smelly pail after emptying the diapers into the washer I add a bit of detergent, a tiny splash of bleach, and 2-3 gallons of water. Then I use the the toilet bowl brush(I do this all in the bathroom) to scrub the insides. Then dump the water into the toilet and scrub the toilet. Keeps the pail from smelling and keeps my toilet bowl sparkling clean. If you are concerned about the environmental hazards just use a squirt of whatever it is you use to clean your toilet instead of the detergent and bleach.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #8
abemom2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I guess I'll try the garbage can plain and see how it goes. I did notice that the wetbag would sometimes have water left, and I'd turn it inside out for the second rinse.