Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What's new and awesome in the last 5 years

My youngest will be 5 by the time this new little one arrives Lord willing (we lost one last year in a miscarriage). We are 8.5 weeks now with a healthy heartbeat of 150 so praying this little one stays looking good.

What's new and awesome now for newborns?

I have most of what I'll need, unless the elastic gives out (Simplex, Rainshine Designs AIOs, Imagine AIOs, Mutts fitteds, Thirsties covers, and a few GMD prefolds).

I think I just need about 6-12 more diapers. I'll probably just buy more of what I already have (they were all awesome) but it's been so long that I'd love to see what everyone is loving now. I will only buy diapers that have a snap down or generous dip for the cord to heal and snaps (I don't do velcro when they are tiny, I tried last time).

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's new and awesome in the last 5 years

I still like the thristies duo sz1 covers and if your LO might be on the smaller side, RAR nb covers. No scoop but snap down rise so isn't needed. I used these with my second with gerber nb muslin flats and osocozy flats for the newborn stage and it worked well.

I haven't heard of anything new and exciting since then.

Good Luck!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing

Last edited by Pixi6s; 11-29-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:58 PM   #3
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! My last two babies were 7lbs 14 oz and 7 lbs 12 oz.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

personally I'm thirsties duo sz1 all the way then I used them with both.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Simplex are still generally thought of as the best newborn AIO. They have organic inners now which is nice.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

XS sandies are nice but expensive new. I had some this time and felt like I paid too much for the length of time they fit (less than a month - and I bought them used). I think my preference is NB Simplex (I had 6 for diaper bag diapers and church), prefitteds, and prefolds. You're changing diapers so frequently anyway, quantity is better than fancy in my opinion.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #7
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby's mom View Post
Simplex are still generally thought of as the best newborn AIO. They have organic inners now which is nice.
Does organic have a diapering advantage? Like aside from how the cotton is grown, is there a difference in absorbance or softness or...something? I'm never sure why we care about organic
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #8
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love my Simplex. We have 10 of those. I did find that GMD now sells a Clotheez cover that is sized. So I bought one. The newborn has flaps to tuck in the prefold so you don't have to pin (I know not good for explosive EBF poo, but I don't like pinning). The size 0 snaps down tinier than a Thirsties Duo I. This is the one I bought. https://www.greenmountaindiapers.com...cloth-eez-wrap
Old 12-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Does organic have a diapering advantage? Like aside from how the cotton is grown, is there a difference in absorbance or softness or...something? I'm never sure why we care about organic

I have found that organic cotton is not nearly as good as conventionally grown cotton for diapering. For one thing, it can sometimes irritate my babies' skin. Weird. For another, it isn't as durable and it stains much easier.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
I have found that organic cotton is not nearly as good as conventionally grown cotton for diapering. For one thing, it can sometimes irritate my babies' skin. Weird. For another, it isn't as durable and it stains much easier.

Weird! I noticed a few things too! My organic GMD prefolds were HUGE compared to the unbleached and whites. They wouldn't quilt up either. They were flat. Hmmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk