Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
lugnut_9754
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question What Did You Need The First Month?

I will be adopting a newborn and have to stay put for 21 days after placement. I have some baby stuff here and some at my parents' house (in Ontario). Since I want to make sure I have everything organized where it needs to be (I can only moved stuff in summer so I need to have everything organized for summer).

I will be living either my apartment here, or a hotel room for the first month and then moving to Ontario so I don't want to have too much stuff but I do want anything I will need.

What did you need the first month? What can I wait to get in Ontario/leave in Ontario?

TIA!

Advertisement

Michele (27) - - Waiting for #1 since March 2013 (My Single Mother By Choice Blog) - Follow my journey on YouTube
TTCing until hysterectomy and then moving onto donor eggs and surrogacy
lugnut_9754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
skylarkdancer
Registered Users

Re: What Did You Need The First Month?

What do you have so far? I would say, dipes and wipes (obviously), depending on if you are bfing (relactating or lactating) or formula feeding, bottles, pacis if you're doing those. Clothes in several sizes because sometimes newborn clothes are too small. Receiving blankets, carseat w/ base, stroller if you feel you need it. Carrier is always a plus, helps with bonding. ;-) I suggest an ergo, moby wrap or ring sling. They are awesome. Baby wash/shampoo, lotion, diaper rash cream, something to bath him/her in. Towels, washclothes. Bassinet or some equivalent. Hope this helps.
skylarkdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
vlswager
Registered Users

I would keep it super simple. We TOTALLY overprepared for our adoption(but it was lots of fun). I think I only ended up using a fraction of the stuff we had, I was too tired to care about the rest or my daughter hated what I thought she would love. Here's my list in order of importance(to me of courser):

1. Car seat
2. Diapers & Wipes
3. Bottles/Formula
4. Carrier(I used a mei tei then an ergo - GREAT for bonding)
5. Jammies - Emmie was in jammies the better part of her first two months(but it was winter)
4. Pacifiers if using
6. Swing &/or bouncy seat - some babes love some hate. the bouncy seat saved our lives when she was super refluxy and would only sleep while in that position (swaddled and strapped in to the bouncy seat in her crib. quite a scene)

Everything else is just fluff IMO. Go with the necessities to keep babe alive then add from there if you need to. Babes need so much less than what we think they do. I found more stuff equaled more stress in an already stressful situation.

Good luck with your adoption!!
vlswager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #4
lugnut_9754
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great! Thanks guys!

I have a complete newborn diaper stash but I'm thinking I might get disposables instead... haven't decided yet.

I want to breastfeed but not sure it will work.

I think I'm going to get the bassinet with my stroller so it is multipurpose lol.

Didn't even think about getting the carrier right away. I have one picked out already but haven't ordered it. I do have a pouch sling thing though.
Michele (27) - - Waiting for #1 since March 2013 (My Single Mother By Choice Blog) - Follow my journey on YouTube
TTCing until hysterectomy and then moving onto donor eggs and surrogacy
lugnut_9754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #5
Belle1002
Registered Users

My Mood:
We did disposables until we got home (a month in a hotel for us). Feeding and diapering supplies, car seat, a few sleepers and onesies, a place for baby to sleep, a wrap, and a few blankets for floor time or to swaddle. The hospital gave us sample packs of baby wash, lotion, etc which lasted forever.

Loving life with our very energetic 2 year old b/g twins!
Belle1002 is online now   Reply With Quote